Why become a member? ×

Sexism in Music - Infuriating Things People Say to Women Musicians

xilddx

I was reading the list thinking oh dear! It's ridiculous. Then at the bottom there's a list of best songs by a woman....and the majority are sh*t. It really doesn't help the argument. Also a few of the women trade of T&A so that doesn't help the feminist cause.

The singer in my band is a girl, sh*t not girl a bird, no what they called..oh yeah a woman. (she prefers being a girl and calls us boys, we're all in our 30's no one gets offended). But we do get comments like as if she can sing Zeppelin or as if she's rocks that much. A lot of people think she is Hot tho and that usually comes first!

In fairness to men, I think women have a distinct advantage over men.

When a man meets an attractive woman his testosterone rises to his brain and reduces it to scrambled egg. So women, enjoy the moment and cue the stupid banter like, "i bet you're buying a blue one as it's your favourite colour".

The poor twit's just trying to make a conversation. He should remember the one "It's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

It's not just in music.

My wife has a Private Pilot's Licence & one day we went over to trhe Glasgow Flying Club to buy a new chart.

Although she was the one who asked for the chart & the particular designation, the guy only looked at me and spoke to me. I directed him to ask my wife, but he continued his practice much to my, and her, annoyance.

We never spent money in there again.

G.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1386365488' post='2299469']
Let me through, I'm a feminist!!! :D

[/quote]

Me too, but only because I look great in dungarees.

What is ever so slightly risable about this article is that this woman is about thirty years behind the times with her angry, tight-lipped polemics about how life isn't fair for women . More astute socially - aware women realised a long time ago that life actually isn't fair for [i]anyone[/i], and stopped worrying too much about what men say and do in favour of worring more about what they themselves were going to do to makie the changes to their lives that they wanted to bring about . This kind of quasi-feminist diatribe belongs to 1973 far more than it does to 2013.

This poor woman who has knocked up this article has done quite a good job at being entertaining and it is an enjoyable read - she has got us talking about it- so kudos to her for that, but if , as she seems to expect, she is seriously expecting people to get indignant and hot under the collar at such terrible social injustices as getting surly or patronising service in a guitar shop then she is a bit of a lost cause, despite her claimed credentials as a "feminist advocate". She may as well be advocating protesting against the Vietnam War, so out-of-date is her rhetoric.

More accomplished spokeswomen in the feminist movement( if any such "movement" exists, which it doesn't) will tell you that one thing they [i]don't [/i]need to help their cause is people to go round looking for trivialities to get indignant about , because all that does is discredit them and undermine the serious issues . Unfortunately, it seems like this woman has got nothing but triviality to occupy her.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1386405766' post='2299677']
Also, i didn't know the Tom Daley thread got locked......that is a surprise!
[/quote]

I would love to have seen what people said about that ( can't read it because I'm banned from Off Topic. Some people can't handle The Truth ). How could there be a ruck about Tom Daley? Young man who is good at swimming says he's happy in a relationship with a man...and so what? Even I can't see what there is to fall out about on that subject! Do some folks not believe him ? He looked pretty sure to me.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1386427682' post='2299999']
I would love to have seen what people said about that ( can't read it because I'm banned from Off Topic. Some people can't handle The Truth ). How could there be a ruck about Tom Daley? Young man who is good at swimming says he's happy in a relationship with a man...and so what? Even I can't see what there is to fall out about on that subject! Do some folks not believe him ? He looked pretty sure to me.
[/quote]

You are banned from Off Topic?!! That is f***ing sad. I don't always agree with your angle on things but you are one of BC's valuables in OT.

The 'ruck' was because a few people said they couldn't stand camp mincy gay blokes (all an act, false, annoying), and that Pride annoyed them (shoving their sexuality in people's faces). It got a little messy because they felt victimised by a few others (including me). Milty went off again aswell :)

it made me laugh when i posted a vid from this young lady. the comments ranged from "oh you only like it because shes hot" to 'well if it was a guy playing it would seem average" total horse sh*t. i like her playing regardless of what she looks like, or what sex. im blind when it comes to music. im aware that its human nature to judge things from our eyes. Good thread Nige. my heroes in music are 50% women. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEyJmR7z4ng

Edited by bubinga5

On a daily basis the pages of BC adduce to the idiotic things that are said when hobby musicians gather. Members regularly post examples of eye-watering misapprehensions and tactlessness.

From my own experience (and I've forgotten more than I remember):

* Let's try it in waltz time - that's 4/4
* Why show me that low string riff? The bass and the guitar are in different tunings
* (Onstage) I love the blues. Black people have [i]such[/i] a great sense of rhythm
* Jimmy Plant wrote Stairway To Heaven, you prat
* I'm a 'feel' player - that's why I only play in the key of A

Why might women in bands be exempted from the cornucopia of total bollocks that passes for intra-musician dialogue? The young lady's list is evidence not of institutional sexism but of institutional stupidity.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1386429052' post='2300013']
it made me laugh when i posted a vid from this young lady. the comments ranged from "oh you only like it because shes hot" to 'well if it was a guy playing it would seem average" total horse sh*t. i like her playing regardless of what she looks like, or what sex. im blind when it comes to music. im aware that its human nature to judge things from our eyes. Good thread Nige. my heroes in music are 50% women. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEyJmR7z4ng[/media]
[/quote]

To be fair mate, this wasn't the one you posted that generated those comments, you posted the blonde woman with the blue and gold Stringray who was a bit of a stinker, she wasn't very good. This one is great, she plays fantastically well for a chick.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1386429122' post='2300014']
On a daily basis the pages of BC adduce to the idiotic things that are said when hobby musicians gather.

* Let's try it in waltz time - that's 4/4
* Why show me that low string riff? The bass and the guitar are in different tunings
* (Onstage) I love the blues. Black people have [i]such[/i] a great sense of rhythm
* Jimmy Plant wrote Stairway To Heaven, you prat
* I'm a 'feel' player - that's why I only play in the key of A

Why might women in bands be exempted from the cornucopia of total bollocks that passes for intra-musician dialogue? The young lady's list is evidence not of institutional sexism but of institutional stupidity.
[/quote]

:lol: :D

:lol: my god im getting sh*t from all sides. Nige im sure i have posted that girl with that specific Incognito song. but yes ive posted a stinker or 4. your a tough crowd.

Rhys come on man, i may have had a few beers with when i posted a lame one now and then, but music is subjective and all that.? ;)

I know a lot of female bass players. They don't get positive or negative discrimination as far as their musicianship goes, by other musicians, because of their gender. It's usually people who aren't musicians who make the politically incorrect comments.