Why become a member? ×

Do I want a pre-amp?

visog

So I've got a TC Electronics BC500 rig and a GB with more DB boost than you'd imagine so my question is, would a tube bass pre-amp round out the clean sound of the TC rig? Would it offer me any more tonal options? Advice please...

Will - or should - warm it up considerably. I`ve tried the same with my Markbass amps, and actually found that for the music I play I prefer the cleaner sound of the Markbass, but having used a DHA VT1 and an Aguilar Tonehammer, the sound was much warmer, with the added harmonics you get from tubes. And of course, if you choose wisely and get a pre-amp where the mids work on different frequencies than your amp then yes, you`ll have a more flexible eq.

I use the Tech 21 Bass VT stomp box, I have to say I think it is about the most useful pedal I have ever owned, it gives me lots of growl and bite if I want it and tonally everything I ask it to do (within reason of course) sounds really nice, I have never been a fan of anything in the signal path but this one's a keeper

Guest bassman7755

If I were you, I would buy a behringer BDI (£35 ?) which is essential a clone of the sansamp and see if I liked what "tubes" did to the sound. Although it doesnt actually have tubes in it, it has a FET overdrive circuit which is more or less indistinguishable from the real thing especially when were talking about pre-amp tubes.

Edited by bassman7755

It depends of what you're looking for. I find tubes, be it pre-amps or amps, provide a warmer, rounder tone at lower volumes but add a bit of distortion at higher volumes. Since I prefer my sound to be ultra clean, they're not for me, but the only way to know if you'll like it is to try it.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1386507588' post='2300789']
If I were you, I would buy a behringer BDI (£35 ?) which is essential a clone of the sansamp and see if I liked what "tubes" did to the sound. Although it doesnt actually have tubes in it, it has a FET overdrive circuit which is more or less indistinguishable from the real thing especially when were talking about pre-amp tubes.
[/quote]
Very good advice.