Why become a member? ×

cab for lh500 help

stubass

Hi, a few months back I plumped for a hartke lh500 head. Really pleased with it! I've been taking it to practice, playing through an ampeg 810, 215 carlsboro and a little fender 2x8 as well as an ashdown abm810. Apart from the toothless wee fender, it's sounded great through them all. It is now time for me to buy my own cab. I will have pa support so I'm happy to go for a 4ohm 410 (lh is 500w@4ohm) with no intention of extending it. I have a budget of £300 ish. Thing is, all that seem to be in budget are untried cabs. Marshall mbc410 (600w@4ohm) Eden ex410xc (400w@4ohm) and ashdown mag410t (450w@4ohm) in your opinion, what should I go for? Also, why can't I find a hartke 410 rated at 4ohm? Ideally I'd pair with a hartke cab but their all 8ohm. Can't afford 2 smaller cabs :( still a bit new to this. Played through combos for years so I'm a bit clueless as to ohmages etc!

i would grab a 8 ohm cab, i really doubt you'll notice a massive drop in volume also the hydrive cabs really are nice but honestly go and try a few cabs but the standard is normally a 410 8 ohm should be able to grab a hartke, ampeg or ashdown for that budget easily or maybe a gk all gd cabs just with a slightly different flavour.

andy

Out of the cabs mentioned I`d give the Eden a blast - I`ve had the Marshall and it was a good cab but I`ve found Edens to be better.

That said, as as Andy states above, an 8ohm cab won`t make much difference to the overall sound/volume - the LH500 is reported as a loud amp so "only" having 300 or so watts into a 410 shouldn`t be an issue.

Thanks guys. My biggest problem is lack of music shops up here. Those that I mentioned are probably the only cabs in a 50mile radius! We're looking to do functions as there is a huge gap in the market. Down side is lack of equipment to choose from locally. It's an internet job I'm afraid. Would love to try loads of cabs. Even if I travelled to Aberdeen, from what I've heard, choice would be piss poor!

Right, kinda made my mind up to go for a hartke 410xl. However, I like the idea of a couple of 210's but was put off by the price. I've come across those Harley Benton 210's at little more that £100 each. Anyone had much experience with these? Do you get what you pay for?!?!

I`ve not used the Harley Bentons but I would assume they are a case of you get what you pay for. Whereas with the Hartke 410XL you will be getting a really good cab - plenty of power/decent sound. They`re a tad heavy but get yourself some good castors (forget the manufacturer provided ones) and it`s only in/out of cars and up/down stairs. Good choice, and used these cabs are relatively low priced making them great value.

[quote name='stubass' timestamp='1386429945' post='2300033']
Right, kinda made my mind up to go for a hartke 410xl. However, I like the idea of a couple of 210's but was put off by the price. I've come across those Harley Benton 210's at little more that £100 each. Anyone had much experience with these? Do you get what you pay for?!?!
[/quote]

I had a pair of the Harley Benton 210 cabs. They are very well put together and solid. Plenty of good connectivity on the rear - 2 speakons and 2 1/4 inch jacks all in parallel, as well as a variable horn attenuator - the horn is not at all hissy or harsh either. However, with regards to the 10" drive units: they are muddy and ill-defined tonally, and don't like being pushed. I swappped them out for Celestion units and the difference was night and day, really. Stacked with the drivers vertical they gave a very nice sound and at a good height.

So, definitely a case of 'you get what you pay for', unless you are prepared to try some replacement 10" drivers, IMHO.

For portability and modular practicality, I'd certainly recommend a pair of 210 cabs.

Edited by RandomBass

I used the Marshall MBC410 for about a year. The speaker grill stated to rattle loudly. I tried to tighten it, but with the cab being made of [url="http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7paABANSQw8A0okPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMTNuNTZzBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=11ti93hjm/EXP=1375958272/**http%3a//www.ergoindemand.com/about-mdf.htm"][b]MDF Board[/b][font=Arial][size=3] - [/size][/font][b]Medium Density Fiberboard[/b][/url], the screws never tightened back into the MDF. Try to get a cab manufactured using real wood board. GK, or TCElectronic I been told use real wood. MDF is also heavier than real wood, to make it as strong as the real wood is. More MDF is needed to accomplish that, then you have the heavier cab made of MDF. Screws strip easier in MDF also.

Edited by gsgbass

Any used Eden or SWR should fine and produce plenty of volume - the main issue with these cabs is their bulk and weight. If that is not a concern, then you can get some very good deals.

One thing to watch with that combination is too much mid cut. Eden and SWR (and I assume Hartke) 4x10's have a distinct hole in the middle of their frequency response - but so does the preamp in your amp. Be prepared to boost the mid range and go gentle on the lows to get definition and presence.

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1386417018' post='2299837']
I use the Hartke's big brother, the LH1000 which I run at 4ohms, and without PA support with two cabs I rarely turn up above 3. I wouldn't worry too much about running it with one of the 8ohm cabs, it'll still be plenty loud enough :)
[/quote]

I have the same amp and run it bridged with a Laney NX410 at 8ohms. Plenty of volume.

If you're only going to be using your cab as a monitor then second hand I'd go for something like a Trace or Ashdown 2x10" but for brand new, my money would be on a Laney NX115. Read my review on here about it for more info. I love Laney cabs and they sound great through the Hartke LH heads. That cab has plenty of volume and I've done pub gigs with no PA support with one of those. £279 new and you can pick up a Roqsolid cover for £40. They're 21kg so quite light.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1386447945' post='2300335']
Eden and SWR (and I assume Hartke) 4x10's have a distinct hole in the middle of their frequency response - but so does the preamp in your amp. Be prepared to boost the mid range and go gentle on the lows to get definition and presence.
[/quote]

Bizarrely, the "flat" setting on the LH500 is bass and treble set at 2, middle on full!! Turning the bass and treble up any more than that actually cuts the midrange... Not too much of a problem as there is plenty of volume/power available - but it is a bit counter-intuitive and takes a bit of getting used to! :)

Cab-wise, £300 almost brings you into the realms of second-hand Barefaced Compacts! I use one of them with my LH500 and it sounds great - really loud and clear - even though it is an 8 ohm cabinet. Beautifully light too, so shipping to north-east Scotland shouldn't be too much if you can source one...[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222586-l325-another-price-drop-barefaced-compact-with-roqsolid-cover/page__pid__2295059#entry2295059"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222586-l325-another-price-drop-barefaced-compact-with-roqsolid-cover/page__pid__2295059#entry2295059[/url]