Why become a member? ×

Recording tips - Which Audio Interface?? Bass/DI/Mic'd Guitar Amp/Synth. Which mic's?

Musicman20

Hi all

What Audio Interface should I be looking at for a good quality recording for:

1. Bass from DI of my amps
2. Bass from the Digital Out of the RH750
3. Micing up a guitar amp
4. Very importantly, synth MIDI IN/OUT.
5. Vocals.
6. LIVE use for DJ nights (just basically playing sets at DJ nights, not really dance/mixing orientated although I will be using very basic mixing of mp3s so only needs basic ability to hook upto a computer and into a PA).

I'm guessing for live DJ sets I need a mixer?? I am literally just going to be playing normal indie/mod tracks, no clever dance mixing needed...

I know it won't be the best, but what can get for £100-200?

I'll then need a quality vocal mic. It will be for all round recording/live work. Do I need an SM58?

I know very little about AI and mic's!

Cheers

Edited by Musicman20

The Mackie Blackjack gets good write ups for the quality of its pre's, but I'm not sure that it has digital input for your RH750 output
I have a pre owned TC Electronic Konnekt 8 which sounds very nice and has all the connectivity you need and it's Firewire, a DI from my BH250 sounds good too, I've heard the RH digital out is awesome
I think Presonus and Focusrite have good pre's from what I've read of them
I use a Rode NT1 for vocals and acoustic guitar and I intend to get an SM57 for miking a g****r combo, you might consider something from Red5 which seem very good value for money, I may even end up with some of their stuff as it won't be leaving the house, it won't need to be as sturdy as a Sure mic
There's plenty of info and reviews to trawl through and Gearslutz is a good source of user reviews
Best of luck with your endevours

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1386708872' post='2303517']
The Mackie Blackjack gets good write ups for the quality of its pre's, but I'm not sure that it has digital input for your RH750 output
I have a pre owned TC Electronic Konnekt 8 which sounds very nice and has all the connectivity you need and it's Firewire, a DI from my BH250 sounds good too, I've heard the RH digital out is awesome
I think Presonus and Focusrite have good pre's from what I've read of them
I use a Rode NT1 for vocals and acoustic guitar and I intend to get an SM57 for miking a g****r combo, you might consider something from Red5 which seem very good value for money, I may even end up with some of their stuff as it won't be leaving the house, it won't need to be as sturdy as a Sure mic
There's plenty of info and reviews to trawl through and Gearslutz is a good source of user reviews
Best of luck with your endevours
[/quote]

Cheers! On thinking about it, I doubt I'll mic the guitar rig...probably just straight in and mess about on the computer with adding the tones I want...bass would be DI'd or digital from the RH750 (although I'm happy just to go straight in from the DI if needs be), vocals might be best with an SM58, and then it needs MIDI for synths etc.

I've added number 6, using it as a live DJ all in one box.