Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass - Where to put the EQ pedal

Guest MoJo

I love the growl of my TB500H but am less than impressed with the ineffectual EQ in the preamp. I've got a Boss GEB-7 heading my way but I'm unsure whether it should go in front of the preamp or in the effects loop to get the best out of it

If I remember rightly the effects loop is serial - as are most amps I thought. However, the effects level is darned high on the TB500 - you will be better off putting it between the instrument and the input. Give it a try either way, and see which works best for you.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1386769525' post='2304237']
In front. Guessing that like most amps, the effects loop will be parallel so you will only be EQing half the signal.
[/quote]

If that's the case, then it's piss-poor design. An effects loop should be either series or switchable. I can't think of a single instance when parallel only is more useful.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1386839921' post='2305098']
If that's the case, then it's piss-poor design. An effects loop should be either series or switchable. I can't think of a single instance when parallel only is more useful.
[/quote]

Markbass are parallel by default, switchable with a jumper inside the case. I assumed that most amps would be done this way, but it seems that I'm wrong, and that series are more common. Apologies. From the circuit diagram it looks like it is indeed a series loop. The point about the line level signal still stands.

One reason given is that, even if something fails in the loop, you still get a noise coming out. Another reason is that it may allow to you blend the clean and effected signal, something which some older effects units may not offer.

Edited by pete.young