Why become a member? ×

squier CV precision vs fender precision standard MIM

Dennis1971

Pro's / Con's?

Came close to making a decision in the shop today and decided against the CV '50 precision since I preferred the later style. So I was veering towards the CV '60 precision until shopkeeper suggested looking into precision standerd (MIM).

Price wise these are within budget.

What are the major differences? What would you choose and why?

Dennis

I wish I could, neither of them available in shop. Played an american special which was lovely but out of budget. Luckily they are happy to order one and I am not obliged to take it of them but want to make the best possible decision.....
Did play the CV jazz which played fine, but I prefer the Pbass sound.

If you can`t try them out locally, buy both and take advantage of distant selling regs to try them, and return the one you don`t like as much.

I`ve had the CV 60s Precision, and many MIM Precisions. MIMs get a few knocks from people but I`m yet to have one I can`t get on with. Having only had/played one CV, all I can say about that specific one was it was a great bass.

My preference would probably be for the MIM due to the body being made of alder as oppose to basswood - I find alder just has that little bit more heft in the sound. Difficult to describe really, I just find basswood to be a tad more aggressive sounding - which of course would and does suit many. Just my personal preference.