Why become a member? ×

Squier p bass crackling noises - please help

Hi all

New here and hoping to get some advice on the following issue.

I've recently been given a Squier P Bass from a friend.

The bass has upgraded EMG pickups and has been converted to active. All of this has been done before it was given.

When I plug it in it has a hissing sort of sound with random cracking and popping a bit like an old record player sort of sound.

I'm not overly techy yet but I stripped it down, visual inspection is everything looks fine, all connections and solders are good. Tried new battery's to. I did notice under the bridge that there is a copper earth strip which was broken so I've replaced that but it has made no difference.

Anywho, I hope there's enough info for someone to help.

Many thanks in advance

Chris

If I remember correctly, with active EMGs, the bridge is not supposed to be attached to the shielding, so the break might have been on purpose. Are the connections on the knobs the plug on type or soldered? If the older solder type, I found the tight braided signal cables can be a nightmare for nicks exposing signal to braid where they have been badly stripped in the past - causing these kind of noises?

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1387459432' post='2312182']
If I remember correctly, with active EMGs, the bridge is not supposed to be attached to the shielding, so the break might have been on purpose. Are the connections on the knobs the plug on type or soldered? If the older solder type, I found the tight braided signal cables can be a nightmare for nicks exposing signal to braid where they have been badly stripped in the past - causing these kind of noises?
[/quote]

Thanks for your response.

Connections are all soldered. How do I check for nicks? And how would I fix if this is an issue?

Thanks

Chris

[quote name='Christoffcallaghan' timestamp='1387487716' post='2312689']
Hi, I've checked jack socket and all solder is good and everything tight etc. We I turn the pots up it only makes the hissing louder.

???

Cheers.
Chris
[/quote]You need a tech to look at it, it's likely the pre-amp is faulty from what you say. Where are you?

[quote name='Christoffcallaghan' timestamp='1387491419' post='2312734']
Connections are all soldered. How do I check for nicks? And how would I fix if this is an issue?
[/quote]

I would have just suggested wiggling the cables near the pots whilst plugged up to see if the hiss changes/goes away etc. Don't wiggle them too hard to snap the solder joints though (bitter experience talking here!)

I had an issue with intermittent crackle/popping etc and put it down to poor stripping of the signal cables which have extremely tight braid around them. I tried to redo the connections, but the leads were getting shorter and shorter. I ended up buying a replacement set of pots/cables from an EMG dealer which made everything plug and play rather than soldered. However, I did this because I was pretty sure what the problem was - there is no guarantee this is what is wrong with yours, so it may be more prudent to spend a few quid getting it checked out as others have suggested, rather than blowing £40 or so on bits only to find it doesn't fix the problem.....

Edited by Huge Hands