Why become a member? ×

Flatwounds and EMG's?

Pinball

Hi, I love playing flats and halfrounds and also the tone of active EMG's so I was thinking that this combo may work quite well for me

.I wondered if anyone out there uses flats with EMG's and if they are pleased with the results?.

I hoping for more pure EMG tone with reduced finger/fret noise.

At the moment I'm using Status round wound strings, except a set of EB flats on my Sandburg

Edited by Pinball

I had EMGs with flats on a fretless for a long time. The bass was horrid to play, but it came with the EMGs (gold EMG P pickup) and it sounded awesome. I ended up using it on lots of recordings because I could just plug straight into the desk and always get a good sound.

I whipped out the EMGs to put in my Bitsa p-body, j-neck. Now that sounds awesome too, but with rounds, not flats.

I've recently taken the Status flats off my bitsa PJ with EMGs ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/96658-non-sparkle-precision-project/page__p__1307348#entry1307348"]http://basschat.co.u...48#entry1307348[/url]).

Sounded fantastic. Real "old skool" Motown tone when wound onto the P pickup. That characteristic EMG punch and clarity but tempered by the inherent mellowness of the flats. Loads of thump but no lack of articulation.

In fact, damn it. I'm gonna put them back on.

Edited by tonyf

Thanks for the feedback

Since posting this I took the flats (unknown brand) off my Sandburg 4 and tried them on my ESP 405 and they sound great. A very sweet sound without any loss of depth. I'm now thinking that I need to try all my kit with the band before making any hard and fast decisions.

Note: New amp, cab and strings, what was working before no longer sounds right-too many variables at once. Its doing my head in!

Edited by Pinball