Why become a member? ×

Fading in and out problem

KingBollock

Today I decided to try something different with my rig, mostly for tidiness, but there's a problem. Every now and then it will fade out, not usually for long, though at one point it did last a while and there was distortion, too.

I haven't had this problem before. My rig goes:

Bass > Digitech Bass Driver > Zoom GFX-707 > Peavey T-Max input > T-Max FX send > Behringer V-Amp Pro return in > V-Amp line out > T-Max FX return.

All I did was put the stuff from before the T-Max into the FX loop before the V-Amp, and that was when the problem started. The only options I had were to try different leads, which I did, it didn't help. I have put everything back the way it was now but I would like to know what the problem was.

Once, I tried something similar when I tried to include my Boss GX-700 in the loop before the V-Amp, so I could use its effects. The resulting sound was horrendous, very weak and distorted.

I know it might seem a bit odd, going from the pre-amp in my Bass, to the pre-amp of the Zoom, then the pre-amp of the amp, then the pre-amp of the V-Amp, but it works for me, I can get a massive range of tones, all just about infinitely tweekable, and it makes recording easy.

I experienced the same sort of thing, (assuming I've understood your description correctly) at rehearsal last week. First of all thought it was my newly acquired 70's P bass and I felt all glum and upset.
After much faffing about with leads and instruments, finally tracked it down to one of the input sockets on my cab. Fortunately there are two sockets.

With a busy gigging weekend I haven't had time to have a proper look yet, so I've just been careful to avoid the faulty one.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1387755459' post='2315393']
Are the Digitech and Zoom designed to work with line-level as opposed to instrument-level signals? There's a significant difference.
[/quote]
That's a very good point, and I don't know the answer. Would it cause this kind of fault, though? It sounded absolutely fine, except for the fading out every now and then.

I think I have come up with a sort of solution/work around, since it is mostly an aesthetic thing, I could just fit an input socket on the rear of the Peavey.