Why become a member? ×

Action and string feel.

Sunburst66

So I'm very interested in what makes some basses' (and guitars') strings feel supple and easy to fret, while others feel tight and stiffer under the fingers.
Obviously scale length, string gauge and string height are the primary factors.
However, All my basses are 34" fender scale lenth, they all have the same roto66 ss Hybrid string set (40,60,80,100) and they have as close as i can get them, the same string heights, and the difference between the 'loosest' and the 'tightest' is huge.
My '66 p-bass is by far the loosest feeling while my '81 G&L feels so tight by comparison.
I'm a fairly techncally minded guy, i did a bit of physics when i was younger, and the only other factor that I can think of that would allow such a difference, is the rigidity of the instrument along its length, ie how bendy the bass is.
I found the same suggestion being put forward on other forums but I can't find the idea formalised anywhere as part of known technical theory, which seems strange as it's such an important factor in how an instrument plays. (if you have come accross this idea in a book on building or anywhere pls do let me know)

This would mean that, Body wood, neck wood, neck depth and width, neck socket stiffness and trussrod material would all contribute towards the strings stiffness.

It also suggests a payoff, If your bass is bending slightly as the string vibrates then the clarity of the fundamental will be compromised. Less rigid bass=more supple bass strings=less well defined fundamental. More rigid bass=less supple strings=better defined fundamental.

This certainly rings true with my G&L which has very stiff strings and the most defined and piano like funamental of any bass I've heard.

Be very interested in peoples thoughts and to know if this rings true for other players. And again if this is something which is already common knowledge to builders etc then pls let me know.

[i]Hi everyone, this is my first post, sorry it's a bit long winded, was lovely to meet some of you in the summer at the bass bash, wishing you all a wonderful christmas.[/i]

It's a great question and something I have wondered about too.

I have wondered whether the string break angles over nut and bridge are factors.

Also, I would be pretty certain that potential side to side motion of the bridge saddles (whatever the design of the bridge) would affect the "feel" of the string. To SUnburst66, does your 66 P have a very old style bridge where the saddles are not brilliantly secured from a side to side motion when you pluck hard ?