Why become a member? ×

Dead string?

KingPrawn

What have I done wrong? I fitted a new set of pickups on my Jazz, fairly simple procedure. However playing last night at volume. E and A string fine. However the D and G string sounded completely dead! I play through a streamliner and a pair of Bergs. Any thoughts folks. I haven't touched string height etc. it was really obvious the change in volume. Look forward to your comments..

Sounds like pickup height or need to re-eq to me. If it were one string fair enough, but both D & G, well.

First off, I`d lower the area under the E & A a touch, maybe raise the area under the D & G a touch (half-turns on a screwdriver at a time).

If that doesn` sort it, I`d look at backing off of the lows a touch, and adding a touch on the mids. It may be that the new pickups are producing a more "scooped" sound than the old, and the disappearance of the D & G can happen with a scooped eq.

I agree with Lozz that EQ can certainly "bring out" some strings and "quieten" others. If you have a parametric mids control on your bass and sweep thefequency you are boosting/cutting it's very easy to find this out (as these frequencies tend to be in the mids IME). I'm not saying this is your issue but it could possibly be a factor.

Edited by hamfist

Thanks again. I'm not sure of the eq issue. I have a basic fender jazz. I have changed to Delano pickups. I'm running through a genz Benz streamliner and a berg 2x10 and 1x12. When I used the bass through my little practise amp it appears to be fine a fairly even sound across all strings. I lined the strings up over poles and adjusted the height a little on the pups.

Then again last night it had the same issue. The E&A string sound fine. But the D&G disappear. When I set the rig up it sounded ok. Then when everyone plays it appears to disappear. In a desperate attempt I began sweeping the tone knob, with little effect.

When you guys talk about the eq, what is it a physically need to do in terms of the settings? I'm used to just plug in and play. I feel I have a lot to learn.

[quote name='KingPrawn' timestamp='1388334498' post='2320873']
When you guys talk about the eq, what is it a physically need to do in terms of the settings?
[/quote]

I find that certain mid frequencies when boosted or cut can emphasize certain strings over others.
Have you tried using the different mid frequencies on the Streamliner (from memory, either heavy cutting 220 Hz or boosting 600 Hz results in a relatively flat frequency setting for the amp (plus a bass cut)) to see if that might change anything.

The STreamliner is a very, very coloured amp, in that it boosts/cuts some frequencies much more than others. It could be the issue.

The additional thing as well is, are you using both pickups on full at the same time? As this can also lead to a scooping of the mids. If you do, just back off of one a tiny bit (I would choose the bridge pup) and this may help a tad, but it does sound like an eq issue. Boosting the 600 HZ setting should get some more strength to the D & G I would think.