Why become a member? ×

Technical/electronics/capacitor question, for you pedal makers...

bakerster135

So I've been messing around a bit with the TK421 that I got back from Tom (COG). Have replaced the op-amp with an LM308N, which went in fine, but I had a bit of a job getting the 30pf compensation capacitor (ceramic) in there...

It's now in the socket securely, but a bit of the ceramic coating flaked off at the top of the legs/below the round bit when I was putting it in!

I assume this is ok, and will not affect the performance of the cap, but I just wanted to check with you guys!

Can provide pics of necessary, but if anyone in the know could let me know, that'd be great!

Cheers,
Al

Thats almost certainly fine, the stuff round the legs is prone to coming off. But I looked up [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]TK421 on google, and apparently that is the designation of one of the storm troopers stationed on the first death star, so that might cause you problems later.[/color][/font]

I agree and wouldn't worry about a little bit of the capacitor material breaking off, as long as it really is only at the base near the wire legs.

As a point of interest though, the use of sockets is generally discouraged in electronic assemblies for all sorts of reasons, especially if the design/performance/stability is critical. I'd guess this is not too important with an audio device but a socket will add some additional capacitance to the circuitry - only a tiny amount, say a few picofarads, but since you're using a 30pf capacitor then the socket could easily be contributing around 10% of the capacitor value. Not necessarily a problem, of course, but when experimenting with component changes it's sometimes helpful to understand what's really going on in the circuitry.

As for the Storm Troopers - you're on your own there! ;)