Why become a member? ×

should open string tuning be so popular?

iconic

Ive often wondered why fret span distance of adjacent frets gets closer up the dirty end. Then i learnt about the 17/18's remaining string length 'fret rule' and a bit about equal temperent and how any fretted note is slightly high due to the stretching of the string on a fret...(lower action better then?.

I rarely play an open note, I'd rather keep everything 'stopped' by a fret its just me, keeps things tidy to my way of thinking, not because my ears are super senistive (!) but i found myself thinking why we tune to open notes when more of the notes we play are fretted
...wouldnt it be better to tune to a fretted note.
the only issue i can see us that of setting up intonation?

obviously there are more important things to worry about like playing the right note in a song...but humour me and explain.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1388305037' post='2320513']
i found myself thinking why we tune to open notes when more of the notes we play are fretted
[/quote]

A combination of habit and ignorance of the physics of a fretted instrument.

You are right in essence, the open strings are anomalous from an intonation perspective on a fretted instrument and you get to choose from two intonation regimes:

1) open strings plus one (and only one) other fret in "perfect" tune, every other fret will be slightly sharp or slightly flat.
2) every fretted note in perfect tune, open strings slightly flat.

On a conventionally intonated bass with a well cut nut, tuning to open notes will give in tune fretted notes from around the fifth fret up, with the lower fretted notes being sharp by 2 to 3 cents, depending on the string. Some people get really hung up on this... I don't. With a well trained ear, in a quiet room and with some concentration, some of us will be able to hear this difference. In a band situation... seriously, forget about it. You won't hear it. Nor will anyone else.

If it really bothers you, get an Earvana nut fitted or go for the Buzz Feiten system. Musicman and a few other manufacturers already incorporate compensated nuts.