Why become a member? ×

Xmas TOTP

lojo

Forced myself to watch this in an effort to understand a bit more about whats commercial, my kids are 10 and 12 and really getting into their music now.

I thought I would be a grumpy nearly 45 year old , but whilst there has always been lots dross mixed in with things I like throughout all years, I did really like some of it

John Newman's singing style is alien to me, but one of the songs was very soulful and had a great bassline played on an electric bass of all things

The number 1 (Happy ?) I have heard a few times with the kids, and think it is a wonderful song that would not have been out of place in the 70s

So all in all , I think commercial pop music is not as bad as I us middle aged types like to think , its just as varied as always.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1388682846' post='2324780']
I preferred the TOTP 1978 Christmas special on BBC4! :)
[/quote]

I watched that and it brought back the full horror of Christmas 1978 to me in startling fashion . It seemed grim at the time , and looking back now , it was.

I can, however, take some small comfort from the way that recent events have exposed Radio 1 and the BBC as a whole as the Axis of Evil that it surely was. At least now they are being brought to justice.

Edited by Dingus