Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger MB200 - Real life experiences ???

Wayne Firefly

Hi, Im still on the lookout for a cheap but workable gig rig (after failing with a combo option). I may have uncovered a cheap Peavey 1x15 which will live in the van but the amp head is still out there yet.....
There is a possibility of a 1U version of an Ampeg B1 head (if they are any good / loud enough)
Failing that, it looks like its going to be a Gallien MB200. Practical, all the features I need, light and small enough to go in the rucksack / gigbag while the cab is in storage or the van.
Has anyone got any real life info or experiences about output and reliability etc ??
Not interested in marketing hype, just real opinions from anyone who has used one properly where it matters !!!
What I mean by that is, the real world at varying size gigs with a loud drummer !!!

Mine has been fine in terms of reliability and the output seems to be up to scratch. I'd definitely put it up against other SS amps of a similar rating that I've used. I have no problems using it at decent volume for my band, with an efficient 8 ohm 2x12" cabinet (a 4 ohm would give you a little more), or a 1x10" for smaller rooms. It has a very "voiced" EQ which you will either like or not.

[quote name='Wayne Firefly' timestamp='1388700602' post='2325163']
... the real world at varying size gigs with a loud drummer !!!
[/quote]

I think you'll struggle. The MB200 is really very good for what it is, but you won't have a lot of headroom at the best of times. Against a loud drummer, the extra cost to upgrade to an MB500 will soon seem like a good investment.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1388741327' post='2325385']
I think you'll struggle. The MB200 is really very good for what it is, but you won't have a lot of headroom at the best of times. Against a loud drummer, the extra cost to upgrade to an MB500 will soon seem like a good investment.
[/quote]
I think it compares OK to other 200 watt SS amps, but whether that's enough depends on the cab and the rest of the band. I used mine as the house amp for a monthly night my band hosted, and heard it cope with louder bands than mine, but I have a fairly efficient cab. It wasn't enough in a band where the guitarist was using a 350 watt Marshall mode 4 through a 4x12" turned far too loud, but most of the audience had left the room by that point due to guitarist induced ear-pain.

Ha ha thats quite funny !! The only amp I had that killed ANY guitarist in a volume war was a VBA head with a Mesa Powerhouse 15 + 4x10 cab... anything over 5 and EVERYTHING disappeared, which was hilarious !! We are usually in the P.A. anyway, anywhere small enough to just run off backline and a vocal P.A. are very rare and sort of novelty. Ill probably run the cab raised up a bit on whatever is available to hand. Ive had numerous 150 and 200 watt-ish SS heads in years past, I just cant get my head around something so small being 'loud'