Why become a member? ×

Back To Our 1978 Line-Up!

discreet

[b]Back To Our 1978 Line-Up![/b]

Well this is a turnip for the books and no mistake. Perhaps it's an indicator of how the year is going to go... who knows? Anyway, what with our tedious problems in finding a suitable drummer last year and other various time-consuming and rite-of-passage issues (death of aged parents and so on), one thing has led to another, the planets have lined up (or something) and... I don't quite know how it has happened, but my band now has the same personnel as a band I was part of back in 1978 when we were all teenagers... weird or what?? :shok:

We have a preliminary rehearsal booked in a week or so. One of the guitarists and the drummer in particular are a cause for slight anxiety leading to qualms, as the last time I saw these two was more than twenty-five years ago. Glurk! :o

So it's likely to be a strange one to say the least! I have already established a condition that NO REMINISCING is to be allowed on pain of a kick in the spuds. :) Purely because I am unlikely to come out looking good.

And one or two of us have kids who are older than we were in 1978... ohhh. I suppose one good thing is that we're not reforming an old band or resurrecting old material, so we're not going to be one of those 'relic' bands that have popped up from that particular post-punk era, trying to make a quick buck on the back of something. We never made a buck, or anything like it. ;)

Has anyone else experienced this kind of 'forward-into-the-past' -type weirdness, or am I alone in this??
And if so, do you have any advice?* What pitfalls should I be looking out for? What happened?

I thank you! :)

*[size=2]Jokes about Ralgex, Wincarnis and Steradent are very welcome.[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1388844950' post='2326753']
I think you should use exactly the same kit as in 1978, you know, for the sake of complete[size=4][u][b] verisimilitude [/b][/u][/size]...
[/quote]

Good word Jack, +1 & the clothes :D

Good luck Mark B)

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1388844950' post='2326753']
I think you should use exactly the same kit as in 1978, you know, for the sake of complete verisimilitude ...
[/quote]

That means buying my 76P back from Rumple AND buying an Orange 120W valve amp.
Both great ideas, actually. :)

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1388849879' post='2326835']
Good luck and hope it works out even if only nostalgia.
[/quote]

Thanks, Dave... a bit of digging around on YouTube (probably unwisely) has unearthed an 'EP' we recorded in 1978... looks like the 'A'-side was intended to be played at 33 rpm and the 'B'-side at 45 rpm... what's that all about, then??

I wonder if we've learnt anything in the intervening 35 (or so) years? I'm guessing not..!
Even if you don't like what the 18-year-old me is playing, you gotta love that 76P tone!! :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiI1zUsY2O0[/media]

All this has made me feel a bit funny... I'm going for a lie down. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1388850689' post='2326846']
Sounds very like the late Cap'n Beefheart, to me. B) Take that as a compliment ([i]some folks might not, I suppose[/i]... :unsure: ).
[/quote]

I'll take that for sure, Doug. We're all big fans of the Cap'n. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388845315' post='2326761']
That means buying my 76P back from Rumple AND buying an Orange 120W valve amp.
Both great ideas, actually. :)
[/quote]

I'm sorry you will have to speak up I can't hear you Mark :D

Fantastic feelgood story :) . Got me reminiscing about all the bands I've been in and where everyone is these days.

Sadly our 79 line up will never be together again cos one of us is dead. :(
Bet there's a few of us 50 plus on here who can relate to that scenario.

Les

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388844393' post='2326743']
Has anyone else experienced this kind of 'forward-into-the-past' -type weirdness, or am I alone in this??
And if so, do you have any advice?* What pitfalls should I be looking out for? What happened?
[/quote]

I got back together with a guitarist who what was my best mate when we were 16, and played in bands together till our 20's. This was a couple of years ago. All was going swimmingly until his 15yo daughter and/or mates nicked £80 out of my bag round his house. That kind of killed it.

So, my advice is to stay away from each others children, especially if they are the light fingered types. :)

I have been toying with the idea of reforming our 1979 ska-pop combo from [s]Hell[/s] Hull. After some serious stalking I have located (though carefully [i]not[/i] contacted) the singer, the (other) guitard and the sax player.

The drummer and the bass player have slipped from public notice and remain untraceable. So if you're out there, Ian (CPGB) Jackson and Simon Burch...

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1388853028' post='2326888']
Awesome! What name are you going by mate?
[/quote]

I think we're sticking with [i]Hour Of The Dog, [/i]Nige. Unless someone comes up with a better idea. :)
I was toying with band name ideas only last night and came up with [i]Arthur's Cock[/i].
Which is when I stopped and did something useful instead. :D

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1388852396' post='2326880']
Bet there's a few of us 50 plus on here who can relate to that scenario.
[/quote]

Yes there are. I'm sorry to hear it.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1388854275' post='2326912']
...my advice is to stay away from each others children.
[/quote]

Your comment reminds me of those warnings that were printed on the back of matchboxes (remember them?): [i]Keep dry and away from children - [/i]which I always thought was good advice. I managed it for years, until the [size=4]young master discreet popped out of the current mrs discreet, and since then it's been a lot more difficult. And this constant rain doesn't help, either. :)[/size]

[size=4][quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1388855071' post='2326929'][/size]After some serious stalking I have located (though carefully [i]not[/i] contacted) the singer, the (other) guitard and the sax player.
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]More details about the serious stalking, please - we need to know - and I always imagined you to be a bass player Skank, are you saying you are one of the s*x-str*ng persuasion?? *Shock* :o[/size]

[size=4]Er... not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. ;)[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388844393' post='2326743']
[/quote]

Not me, but I seem to remember the band Nucleus at one point consisted of the exact same people as one of the later Soft Machine line-ups.

Soft Machine, Nucleus, Discreet ... a good line in my book.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388856184' post='2326961']
I think we're sticking with [i]Hour Of The Dog, [/i]Nige. Unless someone comes up with a better idea. :)
I was toying with band name ideas only last night and came up with [i]Arthur's Cock[/i].
Which is when I stopped and did something useful instead. :D
[/quote]

:D