Why become a member? ×

Moderation and the report button

ped

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1388855840' post='2326948']
Quite a lot (in fact, perhaps most...) of 'objectionable' content gets 'pulled' in time, before most stumble across it. There's always some that get through, or threads that escalate rather quickly, that's why the button is available for all to use, and you're all encouraged to do so, if the contents warrant it. The rarity of needing to do so underlines both the 'backstage' activities of the mods and the need to be reminded from time to time that it is, indeed, for all of us to help keep up the high standards achieved here. The achievement is a group effort; all are involved and to be thanked. Long may it continue to be so...
[/quote]

Are people really this bad that so much content needs to be pulled so quickly? I know there are arguments but the wisdom of crowds normally sorts it if it's given a chance, there are sometimes a few casualties, but after a sulk or a cry they usually come back and all is well. I very rarely see any bullying or death threats or serious ill will, does that happen?

Obviously there is much more to BC than meets the eye.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1388858715' post='2327014']
Are people really this bad that so much content needs to be pulled so quickly? I know there are arguments but the wisdom of crowds normally sorts it if it's given a chance, there are sometimes a few casualties, but after a sulk or a cry they usually come back and all is well. I very rarely see any bullying or death threats or serious ill will, does that happen?

Obviously there is much more to BC than meets the eye.
[/quote]

Normally there will be some PMing and so forth happening behind the scenes whilst we ask people to keep it civil, they say 'but so and so said this over here and it's still there and much worse than I said' etc so a lot of forward and backward messaging.

There's never anything serious, but people often forget to engage their brain before letting their thoughts end up online!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1388858715' post='2327014']...so much content needs to be pulled so quickly?...[/quote]

No, indeed..! Most of the 'reporting' that I do comes from much more banal things such as posting in the wrong forum (only needs moving, but I can't always do that...) or not complying with Marketplace rules, often in a minor way. I apologise if I gave the impression that we're here, 'pulling' stuff, day in, day out. Far from it, and just as well, or I'd not have TIM to read the threads that interest me..! No, in general the role is much of a sinecure, at least, in the parts of the site in which I 'patrol'. There is no pleasure in policing, per se; long may it stay that way.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1388860927' post='2327064']
Ped - is your new profile pic a subtle hint to us mere mortals? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Hehe she's a softie really. Best way to defuse a Staffie - put a jumper on it

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1388855046' post='2326927']
Am I being judgemental and ignorant of what really goes on behind the BC curtains? Probably.
[/quote]

Mods are like ducks - all calm and placid on the surface but with feet going like billy-o underneath. :)

Daft analogies aside, when I first became a Mod I was totally blown away at all the stuff that goes on in the background that never gets seen or acknowledged.

When our new Forum Moderators came on board, many of them said exactly the same thing, once they stopped banning each other and raiding Ped's supply of Crème de Menthe... :rolleyes:

IMO, good moderation isn't about storming around shouting, it's about being invisible.

The nicest compliment I ever had on BC was someone saying 'I really never knew we had Moderators here'. :)

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1388860927' post='2327064']Ped - is your new profile pic a subtle hint to us mere mortals? :rolleyes:[/quote]

I'm not sure subtlety is Ped's strongest quality... :mellow:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1388862198' post='2327092']Mods are like ducks - all calm and placid on the surface but with feet going like billy-o underneath. :)...[/quote]

Ah... I just knew I was doing something wrong... :blush:

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1388862324' post='2327096']...theres a supply of Cr[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]è[/font][/color]me de Menthe? :o[/quote]

Dunno; I'm only here for the Earl Grey. Another cuppa, me old china..? :)

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1388862324' post='2327096']
...theres a supply of Cr[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]è[/font][/color]me de Menthe? :o
[/quote]

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1388863623' post='2327123']
....is there any left?
[/quote]

Izair any what zleft? :crazy:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388852135' post='2326876']
I find the kilt very versatile when posting on Basschat.
Warm in winter and refreshing scrotal ventilation in summer. What's not to like?? ...Don't answer that.
[/quote]

For using the statement "refreshing scrotal ventilation" Discreet, I truly believe that you are in fact a fellow Scotsman masquerading as a London "geezer."

Come out of the closet, ya big Jessie!! :ph34r:

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1388877940' post='2327348']
:lol:

But of course, being an anarchist , I reckon its for him to decide which way will be the right way up ;)
[/quote]

It is..? Wahoo..! Great, I can continue with feet going like billy-o underneath..! Beneath what, though is what troubles me. ...and it's starting to hurt a bit. When does that nice lady come along with those blue pills..? Can I stop now..? Is it light yet..? :blink:

If the community helped itself a little, particularly regular/active members, by using the report button, it'll provide the mods with a clear basis on which to take action.

It helps give the mods an idea of where boundaries of acceptability lie on matters such as taste or offence. It also helps to avoid tension bottling up and venting threads like the "whats happened to BC recently" thread. While they're popular, they can tend to have a negative influence on the atmosphere of the forum. Sometimes thats OK if temporary but more than a week of that and visiting the forum can become less attractive.

If the most active members can help set an example through their own posting and challenge antisocial behaviour where they find it, before reporting, I'm confident that it'll create the best possible outcome in the long run for everyone.

Edited by Kiwi
clarification

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1388951952' post='2328101']
OK, I'll bite, although I've never been moved enough to want to press it it, where is the report button ? :blush:
[/quote]

Just to elaborate on what Dad said ...you have to click on the offending post as if you were going to quote it. Then you'll see the report button alongside the 'quote' and 'multiquote' buttons.
But not if you're using the mobile version. You can only get the 'quote' button on that.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1388963622' post='2328298']

Just to elaborate on what Dad said ...you have to click on the offending post as if you were going to quote it. Then you'll see the report button alongside the 'quote' and 'multiquote' buttons.
But not if you're using the mobile version. You can only get the 'quote' button on that.
[/quote]

Sorry Les, simultaneous post.