Why become a member? ×

Routing and Track Effects advice in Reaper

Bottle

Hi guys

This is a question for all the Reaper gurus out there.

Setup: Toshiba laptop running Win 8 64bit, interface is an M-Audio Fast Track Pro with latest firmware and drivers. Reaper running 64bit version with latest version (v4.581). I'm using inputs 1 and 2 into the DAW, outputs 3 and 4 as my main pair, output 1 and 2 as my dedicated re-amp channels as the interface only has balanced outs on 1 and 2.

The issue: I'm recording some basic noodle tracks to test my re-amp box. I have two tracks, lets call them A and B. Track A is clean direct from bass via tuner, track B is from the Sansamp DI. What I'd like to do is do some multi-band processing on both tracks before sending the mix out for further re-amping. Specifically, what I'd like to achieve is run both tracks through a separate two-band crossover each, mix both low bands into one track (say track C), and the high band of track A into another track (D). I can then route tracks C and D to my re-amp box and play around with some outboard effects like fuzz, delays and chorus before re-recording the result.

If anyone can help with the Reaper plug-ins that would be fantastic, as I'm struggling with the routing options within the DAW.

Thanks in advance,
Bottle

I have to be honest I don't know the routing options either , however what you describe as your outcome could be done duplicating tracks and apply eq as necesary then combining the tracks by rendering them together and use as you wish , not very elegant , I am sure there is a way to get reaper to do it itself as there are band splitters in there , I guess I am not a guru :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input Lurksalot.

TBH as you've pointed out, it's not very elegant and seems to be a bit of a faff. I'm sure there must be an easier way of implementing the routing via the Reaper crossover plug-ins - I just haven't found out how. That would be my preferred option rather than trying to copy and process the audio tracks separately.

I'll keep plugging away :P and see how I get on. If in the meantime anyone else chimes in.......

Ta muchly,
Ian

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1389437303' post='2334095']...If in the meantime anyone else chimes in...[/quote]

Good afternoon, Ian...

Could this be what you're looking for...

[url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun11/articles/reaper-tech-0611.htm"]Channel Splitting...[/url]

There's a whole series of very nice Reaper articles here...

[url="http://www.soundonsound.com/reaper"]Sound on Sound 'Reaper' articles...[/url]

Hope this helps...

Make a folder - i.e a new track, then drag the two tracks 'into' that track

Add a reaeq to each track inside the folder, use a hi-pass and a lo-pass filter as you like on the two tracks, set their levels

Add any other fx you want to work on the sum of both of them to the folder track....

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1389703534' post='2337002']
Make a folder - i.e a new track, then drag the two tracks 'into' that track

Add a reaeq to each track inside the folder, use a hi-pass and a lo-pass filter as you like on the two tracks, set their levels

Add any other fx you want to work on the sum of both of them to the folder track....
[/quote]
Hi Simon

I'll give that a nudge!

I can see that would work for the two tracks that are 'low summed' together. For the clean track that I'm also band-passing or high-passing, would I have to copy that track into another folder/track arrangement?

I think I may have got my head around things now. Thanks Simon (and also to everyone else who's replied)

Ta,
Ian

With Reaper if you can imagine a routing path you can probably do it tbh, although some of the darker routing stuff requires you get a pretty intimiate knowledge of how the routing matrix works to do quickly pretty much anything can be achieved by muddling along with what is available on the normal track window in terms of folders, tracks, multichannel folder routing etc etc