Why become a member? ×

Horrid looking Kay bass guitars

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1389543241' post='2335284']
A lot of Top Twentys were rebranded Teiscos, made in Japan, so unlikely to be more than cosmetically similar to the Kays, which I think started appearing 10 or so years later.

For anyone with a genuine interest (or a morbidly perverse curiosity) about these crude & faintly disturbing instruments, there is, as there is for any slightly unsavoury personal predilection, a website:

[url="http://www.mark-cole.co.uk/teisco/"]Teisco Twangers[/url]

J.
[/quote]

Wow. Some of the basses are wild - I particularly like the '68 Phantom-B! BetaFunk makes a fair point though, there was not a lot else around within a teenager's budget, especially in the 70's where I grew up, in North East Scotland. There was one 'posh' music shop in Aberdeen (Bruce Millers) but if me and my mates dared to set foot inside it, we were usually sent packing by the assistants, presumably for fear we'd trash the guitars. When I eventually got some money, I took revenge by going to their rival, Middleton Music. Any Aberdeen muso over 40 will remember Brian... he had better gear anyway! Happy days.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1389543241' post='2335284']
For anyone with a genuine interest (or a morbidly perverse curiosity) about these crude & faintly disturbing instruments, there is, as there is for any slightly unsavoury personal predilection, a website:

[url="http://www.mark-cole.co.uk/teisco/"]Teisco Twangers[/url]
[/quote]

I though Teisco instruments were supposed to be reasonably good?

One of the two people in my year at school back in the 70s who owned a bass had an unbadged BR-2 (single pickup Mosrite influenced design), and it was horrible in almost every way. The other bass that was homemade by someone who'd seen a P-Bass once for about a minute was loads better in both playability and sounds.