Why become a member? ×

Question about the Ampeg Micro CL

MarkG3

I am downgrading from my Orange TB 1k and BF Super 12 and wondered if this little stack would suit me.

All I want it for is to play at home and DI into my little mixer to do some basic recordings I won't be playing at rehearsal or gig volumes, so can I assume 100 watts into a 2x10 would be more than enough?

The main thing I wanted to check is, I recently got myself a Squire VM Fiver(really should post some pics up at some point) and wondered if at playing at home volumes would it be ok with the low B?

Thanks B)

Edited by OBT1000_S12

Should be fine, I have played the Micro VR head into a SVT210AV with a 5 string. Obviously no real deep lows coming through but you don't want them travelling through the walls at home playing volume! The CL stack has lower power and lower rated drivers but it should be fine as a practice amp still.

There's some good Orange Crush combos around too that would be worth looking into if you were a fan of the Orange sound that are probably around the same price as the Ampeg Micro CL stack?

From what I remember, the Micro CL is not that highly regarded, and I think there has been mention of lacking build quality. The more expensive VR with 210 stack seemingly is a better choice.
I don't know whether I read it here or on other fora, but you could do a search.

Personally I've instead gone for the Orange Micro Terror with two PPC 108 cabs. That stack is cheaper than the CL stack (at least here in Norway), and does the work with vigour. Lurv it, and it got very favourable reviews too.

As a side note, the Crush series seems not that highly regarded from what I read on BC, but that may be mostly due to the build quality.

Edited by BassTractor

Excellent thank you for you inputs, I had thought about the Orange Micro as I had looked at various reviews etc for it. I heard the Ampeg VL was better quality but it's £200 more that I couldn't really afford.

I went for the CL in the end, I'll make a thread at some point with pics etc