Why become a member? ×

When and why did you stop pursuing a career in music?

bassist_lewis

It's a very wide question though, isn't it? I mean, to stop playing in bands or doing gigs isn't to give up a career in music, is it? If your fingers got chopped off tomorrow, what would you do to make money? Well, playing bass is probably out the window at that stage, but there are other capacities in which you can apply your skills and knowledge of music. If you ever woke up and thought "sh*t, I am not making any money here, and haven't made a decent living in years" what would you do? Go down to the job centre, or diversify?

Frankly, where I'm at right now is that I'm a pretty poor musician, but I have a good bit of technical info (thank you BassChat), and I am currently heading down a road which allows me to use that technical info and earn a wage, but also within a business environment.

If it's what you love to do, you never will give up on it, I think.

I decided I didn't want to be a professional musician when I was about your age.

I'd been doing it since I was 19, and I'd made a decent living out of it, but I realised I wanted to play music I loved with people I loved and not take gigs I didn't care about or taking on students just to pay the bills. I'd also met with record company people on a few occasions and decided I didn't want to be signed to a major label either.

I've still been busy in bands ever since, but not making any money out of it, and that's what makes me happy. I'd had another hobby since I was a little kid - programming - so I did that professionally instead.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1389640908' post='2336484']
And THAT's the 'instability' your family members are concerned about. Would they be so concerned if you were self-employed plumber? Probably not..
[/quote]

The big difference between a musician & a plumber though is that there will always be somebody that needs a plumber.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1389656423' post='2336751']
The big difference between a musician & a plumber though is that there will always be somebody that needs a plumber.
[/quote]

All too true - plumbing is a modern essential. Indoor domestic plumbing makes us healthier. A band is just for a good time, and when worst comes to worst, the things that are just for fun are the first to go.

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1389563168' post='2335623']
Just want to be clear, I'm not judging people that decided against it, as RussFM pointed out you can buy better gear more easily with a consistent salaried job - as well as pay for a car, ironically without which it's very difficult to make a living from music! I just see myself being a much happier making a living entirely or predominantly from music
[/quote]

Being happy NOW does not always make for being happy later! Not sure of your exact situation, but paying a mortgage, running a car or two, buying food/formula/nappies/clothing for kids (should you go down that path) may not be easy.
Having said that, there is no amount of money to offset being desperately unhappy in your job!

If music really is what you want, maybe look at a music degree at uni. Your Playing and knowledge will only benefit and that could open up some other "career" jobs to you. Teaching comes to mind immediately

I'm not sure I ever seriously pursued a career in music, although definitely dreamt the dream as a teenager. I guess it boils down to a handful of factors, Firstly, I'm not 100% that I have the talent and ability and Secondly, I am not willing to work at it- I'm a rubbish networker and a natural introvert, who is too laid back to really push at things.

I've worked (day jobs) and been friends with 2 pretty successful pro musicians. One gave up music because although when he was on tour, or doing session work, the money was great- it was so unreliable that he could not put down any roots, was stressed and waiting for the next job. He said to me that although he could go out on tour for a few months, and then live off the back of that for the next 6 months. At the end of that time, you were broke, and really in need of a steady income. Added to that wanting to settle down and have a family it was just not feasible.

The second, is still working at it- not long back from a tour of Europe supporting the Pixies I think. He spends a lot of time promoting his band and networking. He has the benefit of being very affable, approachable with an engaging personality to back up the musicianship. However, despite the fact that he has been working at his band for at least the last 6? years, I'd still be suprised if a handful of folks on boards like this had heard of them.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1389653349' post='2336700']
It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do.
[/quote]

That's not really true. If you end up regretting what you did do then it'll be because it hasn't worked out. So that's a known. But regretting what you didn't do is just pointless speculation because you don't know how it would have worked out. Might have been great, might have been a disaster.

That's not to say don't take risks, but don't waste time regretting stuff. Whatever you choose to do, just do it as well as you can.

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1389617757' post='2336103']
Granted, I'll never get on the cover of a magazine now, but as long as there's some people out there who like what we do, and we can do a few good gigs from time to time, I'd be happy.

So, I guess I haven't "given up", per se, but I have scaled back my expectations to suit my life as it stands now.
[/quote]

This.

Ironically, my latest band (all originals, as always, and all-acoustic except for me) probably gigs more than any other band I've ever been in, which has come as a bit of a shock (I'm now 50...)...