Why become a member? ×

EBS Proline 4x10 tweeter

EmmettC

I'm just finished sound check for tonight's gig and the tweeter on my cab is starting to blow. It's cracking and distorting with any little volume, I recognise it, because it happened 2 years ago too. I play in a fairly busy wedding/function band with the EBS cab and an EBS HD350, but we have a big pa, so it's never particularly loud and the tweeter is usually at about half volume. Am I very unlucky, or is there something I'm doing that's shortening the life of them, or do I just have to factor in a new tweeter every few years to have such a lovely sound.

Is it possible the crossover is faulty and sending too much low end to the tweeter?

It cost about £150 or so last time, is there any other cheaper tweeters that will fit? Or a cheaper source for the genuine EBS one?

Thanks for any help.

There's not much in the crossover but any faults should be visible (burning, frayed wires or bad connections). The L-pad may have gone - try adjusting it and listen for crackling and cutting out. A replacement is under £20 from the right place. You can also get replacement diaphragms for the HF unit for under £20 (from memory).

£150 seems a bit steep to be honest. See if you can troubleshoot it yourself. If you locate the source of the problem, come back or pm me and I'll see if I can find a source for the spares. I had the same problem myself a while ago.

It may not be your cab - over time, the PCB can work loose.

Try thumping the HD350 a little and keep playing. If you can make the crackle be intermittent, what you need to do is give your amp a little TLC.

Remembering not to be stupid around electronics, whip the top off and screw the retaining screws tight again. A little silicon (there may be the remains of some already in there) should help the screws stay in position.

If you are unlucky and you have taken a tweeter out, it's a Selenium ST300 - have a search for a replacement diaphragm. A quick search shows this up - [url="http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=SERD"]http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=SERD[/url] - I would wager you could find spares closer to home maybe.

Importing that is still going to be way cheaper than the cost above.