Why become a member? ×

What Is Bi-Amping?

Billy Apple

Very basically it's using one amp to handle low frequencies and another to handle high frequencies in conjunction with a crossover.
...I think. :)

You can also tri-amp and have another amp doing the mids, too. At least in the world of hi-fi, you can.

Edit: I expect someone who knows what they're talking about will be along to explain it properly, soon. :D

Edited by discreet

You use one amp for lows, one for highs, with an electonic crossover splitting the signal before it goes to the amps. Some electric bass heads have an electonic crossover and dual amps. It's used all the time with PA. For that matter it's used in home hi-fi/HT; an x.1 AVR and powered sub is a bi-amped system. It's seldom used with electric bass, other than to sometimes separately power woofers and tweeters. PA uses it to separately power subs and mains, but electric bass cabs are all full range, so there's no point in, for instance, bi-amping a 1x18/4x10, because both cabs share roughly 80% of the same frequency coverage.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1389738623' post='2337491']
I'm asking because I was looking at an Ampeg SVT VR which has 2 channels. I was told that each channel was 150 watts, but to get 300 watts like a CL you'd need to bi-amp it. Is this true, and how would it be done?
[/quote] bi-amp or bridge?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1389738623' post='2337491']
I'm asking because I was looking at an Ampeg SVT VR which has 2 channels. I was told that each channel was 150 watts, but to get 300 watts like a CL you'd need to bi-amp it. Is this true, and how would it be done?
[/quote]

I think this amp is a mono, 300w valve amp. There are two i/p channels, but only 1 power amp. It will deliver 300w (valve watts...) into an appropriate cab (8x10..?). There is no bridging mode (only 1 amp...) and cannot be 'bi-amped'.
Could be wrong...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1389739735' post='2337513']
I think this amp is a mono, 300w valve amp. There are two i/p channels, but only 1 power amp. It will deliver 300w (valve watts...) into an appropriate cab (8x10..?). There is no bridging mode (only 1 amp...) and cannot be 'bi-amped'.
Could be wrong...
[/quote]

What's the thing when you put a patch cable between the two inputs?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1389740229' post='2337525']
What's the thing when you put a patch cable between the two inputs?
[/quote]

Yes; confusingly this is also called 'bridging' by some. Used on Fender Bassman amps, to get the use of both channel's EQ, and 'fatten up' the signal somewhat. An old Hiwatt stunt, too.
Some amps (no name springs to mind, but I'm old.... :blush: ) can drive 1 channel [i]into [/i]the other, as a booster, or additional pre-amp. Not the Ampeg, though.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1389741470' post='2337550']
& here's me thinking Bi amping was when it swings both ways! :yarr:
[/quote]

:o :rolleyes: :lol:

Edited by Dad3353