Why become a member? ×

Westfield Musicman copy

Annoying Twit

My only direct experience of the Westfield make has been a half sized guitar belonging to my son (and never used). Hence, I was interested by the recommendations I've seen on here concerning their P-bass copies. Today I spied a Westfield maple necked Musicman copy when I went past a second hand shop. I had a quick go on it unplugged. I was impressed. It seemed to me to play as well as the quality cheaper basses that I've played (e.g. VMJ, Classic Vibes), and seemed absolutely fine. Not as refined as a USA Fender, but of course that's not to be expected. Nice comfortable medium action, and seemingly a good setup. (Second hand - of course it may have been set up since new).

The big surprise to me was how thick the neck was. I'm guessing this is what people mean when they refer to a 'cricket bat neck'. It felt nice to me, but very solid. Like, in a fire you could remove the neck and use it to break open the windows in order to escape. It felt like I was playing a five or six string rather than a four. Especially compared to my newly purchased Ibanez, which has a thin, narrow, heck, and feels like there's hardly any neck at all. Do real Musicmans have a fat neck, or is this particular to this Westfield?

The body looked fabulous. I suspect that it had been polished, but all the body hardware looked really nice, and everything seemed to fit perfectly. The finish looked perfect.

If this is what Westfield basses are like, then for the prices some of them go for on ebay, they seem very good value. Previously I thought that Vintage and Yamaha were the brands to go for in order to get basses for bargain second hand prices that are actually quite good. After today for me Westfield joins them.

I've owned a couple of Westfield MM copies, along with a P and J copy. Found them in a local cash generator type store for peanuts (think the most I paid for one of the MM copies was around £85, for a 5 string - Black body + scratchplate, maple neck) Seriously good basses once they've been set up properly IMO, punch way above their price level. Still have a P as a modding bass too, comw to think of it!

The one I saw today was black body/black pickguard like Mark's basses. Fit and finish on the body and its accessories looked excellent. The neck looked more like the basses price point would suggest, but I found it comfortable to play.

While looking at a pickup is absolutely no way to evaluate it, I did think that the pickup looked as if it meant serious business.