Why become a member? ×

Another Burman MPA and SL100! Buy it!

discreet

Just got myself a Burman MPA and SL100 like this and if you're looking to do the big valve amp thing then this will put a big grin on your face - and for not a lot of cash. Even if you need to spend £120 getting if fixed up (like I did) it's still way less moolah in total than the usual suspects will cost you. Vast shedfuls of blissful valvey goodness.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burman-Sl100-Amp-And-Speakers-Vintage-Retro-Classic-/251426183505?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3a8a2b1951"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burman-Sl100-Amp-And-Speakers-Vintage-Retro-Classic-/251426183505?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3a8a2b1951[/url]

Probably wouldn't advise using the speakers, though! Resell!

Don't worry about it being 'only' 100W, either- mine is really bloody loud. :)

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1390162443' post='2342214']
looks great, but surely 100 W isn't really enough to keep clean at loud volumes is it? Isn't that why STV,s and VBA,s are 300-400W?
As never having owned a monster tube amp this is purely speculative!
[/quote]

These Burman amps have [i]really [/i]huge transformers. Greg Burman was looking for clean power, and lots of it. :)
Very difficult to get it to break up at all. I've got three inputs bridged on the preamp with all the gains turned up and am getting some lovely warmth, but no stupid-mad grit or grind at all.

I'll let you know, anyway - first rehearsal with this kit tomorrow evening. I'm pretty sure it will have no trouble at all keeping up with the rest of the band. I've been using a Carvin B2000 with two 8 ohm cabs, and this Burman kit doesn't seem any quieter!

Valve watts v. SS watts. There really is a big difference.

Ask Happy Jack, I think his new Matamp is a 100-watter.

Edited by discreet

Yup - no argument.

When I first got my Matamp it was definitely over-gained, it was unusably loud (for pub gigs) and broke up too soon, but that was the AX7s in the preamp. I swopped them out for AT7s.

I played the George IV in Chiswick on Friday, very large place on the High Road and we had at least 200 in the pub and 50 of those on the dance floor. I had the volume at about 8 o'clock on the dial - no, that's not a typo.

I was plenty loud. Plenty.

I run my Matamp through a Barefaced 69er (a 6x10) with no pedals or boost, and I'm playing a passive 5-string P-Bass (a Mike Lull). It's equally loud - but different - through a Compact+Midget stack.

If I was playing the Shepherds Bush Empire or the Forum in Kentish Town, then maybe I'd think about getting a 200W valve amp. That ain't gonna happen. :lol:

I've never yet played a gig that called for more volume than my current rig can turn out, and still retain loads of headroom.