Why become a member? ×

New Old Bass Day x2

pete.young

It's all very well buying new basses, but sometimes a setup or a minor change to an instrument that wasn't getting played for whatever reason, can make something seem like a new instrument again, and open up a whole range of possibilities.

Case in point 1 - I've had a Bass Collection SB310 for a few years, strung as B-E-A-D. I needed something inexpensive, that might have to live in the back of the car for a day, and I decided to reclaim it. I replaced the nut and strung it with an old new set of Rotosound 40-100s that have been kicking about for a while, lowered the action, and it's like having a new bass again!

Case in point 2 - I took the TI Flats off my Precision and put some D'Addario Roundwounds on - hey presto gone are the dead, lifeless and uninspiring thuds and it sounds like a bass guitar again!

What with that, and the realisation that there's no point in trying to find the ultimate 5-string because I already own it, and I'm mostly GAS-free for the first time in ages!