Why become a member? ×

does the cap' effect the tone when tone control is fully open?

iconic

I'm 99% sure the cap' has no effect when the tone control is fully open as in max treble....but would like conformation.

....for instance there would be no difference in open tone if a .047 or .1 cap' was installed?

cheers

Edited by iconic

Some of the treble in the signal will always bleed through the capacitor to earth if it is in the circuit even with the resistance of the tone potentiometer at maximum. Either fit a switch as tommorichards suggests or use a potentiometer that goes open circuit at the maximum resistance end.

I played around with a bypass switch on one of my basses years ago.

Wasn't worth the effort.
There was no audible difference when switching to bypass when the tone control was set to full.

From that practical exercise, I came to the conclusion that the amount of bleed through a cap when the pot is at max resistance is so small that it's really not worth worrying about. :)

It's not just the tone cap. It's the volume pot as well. Usually, the third lug of the volume pot is grounded. So some circuit loading is there as well. If the volume pot is 250k, then you have more loading to ground than if the volume pot is 500k. The OP did not state the values of his pots. Most Fender and Fender-derived or Fender-inspired instruments with passive circuits use 250k pots. If the volume pot is 500k, there is less loading to ground, so therefore not as much treble bleed, and then opening the tone circuit might result in a noticeable difference in top end response.