Why become a member? ×

Crackling Bison Bass (shielding)

Jonnynails

Hi, Bass Players of the World!

I recently fitted a new scratch plate to my Bison. For a non-techie, I did pretty well, albeit that I only realised after re-fitting the pickups ( a tricky job) that I hadn't applied shielding tape to the reverse of the new scratch plate. Rather than start all over again, I did my best to do this with the pickups in place. It was ok, but I'll put my hands up and say that it wasn't a tidy application, with a number of seams and wrinkles in the foil.

So, the problem: the bass now has a habit if crackling when moved abruptly, or when I press on the scratch plate. I've checked the wiring, the earth, and the pots, and all is fine, so everything points to my rather, ahem!, botched shielding. Is it carrying a current? (Surely not?). Or are the nu-sonic (microphone?) pickups interacting with the 'wrinkles' in the aluminum foil?

I really don't want to have to try to remove the shielding as it is highly adhesive and tentative efforts to do so proved how hard it would be.

Any suggestions for what is going on, and how to fix it?

Yours in hope!

I would check that the shielding isn't in contact with the signal path in anyway, so check around the solder points or for micks in the wiring insulation. It's also possible the problem is around the jack socket as this can come into contact with the shielding (I've no idea whether the cavity on the Bison is lined).

And yes, the shielding can carry a current (albeit tiny) as it's connected to ground. Or at least it should be. :)

Edited by Musky

Have you removed the pots then fitted the foil, so the pot's bodies are in contact with the foil & is there a earth lead between the pot bodies connected to the centre of jack socket?

Edited by KiOgon