Why become a member? ×

G&L 2500 Tribute vs Sandberg VM5

SweepsMT

narrowed my choices down to these 2 basses.

Not sure which one to get. I'm after a punchy tone (sort of like a p-bass/music man).

I Could get the 2500 soon or i could save and get a VM5.

I can't find enough videos or sound clips of both to make my mind up (especially ones using a pick, I come across too much slapping :P)

Thanks

For something MusicMan sounding, I'd go for the G&L. However, if you can get your hands on one (Bass Gallery have one for £1100), get a proper USA made G&L, they're so much better than the Tribute models. The Tributes aren't bad, don't get me wrong, but it seems a bit odd to jump in too soon on the G&L if you're prepared to save for the Sandberg... why not save up for the G&L?

I'd let you have a go on mine, but I'm too far away from you!

[quote name='SweepsMT' timestamp='1390671981' post='2348214']
narrowed my choices down to these 2 basses.

Not sure which one to get. I'm after a punchy tone (sort of like a p-bass/music man).

I Could get the 2500 soon or i could save and get a VM5.

I can't find enough videos or sound clips of both to make my mind up (especially ones using a pick, I come across too much slapping :P)

Thanks
[/quote]
[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1390698059' post='2348485']
For something MusicMan sounding, I'd go for the G&L. However, if you can get your hands on one (Bass Gallery have one for £1100), get a proper USA made G&L, they're so much better than the Tribute models. The Tributes aren't bad, don't get me wrong, but it seems a bit odd to jump in too soon on the G&L if you're prepared to save for the Sandberg... why not save up for the G&L?

I'd let you have a go on mine, but I'm too far away from you!
[/quote]

I've tried that G&L in the Bass Gallery and it was great, though in the end I went for the single-pickup L1505 next to it. I have owned a Tribute L2000 and the pots wore out in no time and had to be replaced. I also have a Sandberg VM4 which I love, but have never tried the 5 version.

Buy cheap, buy twice; and buy used if you can, you'll get more for your money.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1390700527' post='2348496']
I have owned a Tribute L2000 and the pots wore out in no time and had to be replaced.
[/quote]

For balance's sake, I'd like to point out that the only pot I've ever had fail on me in a G&L was in a USA made El Toro. It was broken when I got the bass. Bust track so magic spray didn't help. Of course it was the tricky to find 1MOhm reverse log pot.

Both my Tribute L-2000 and M-2000 are doing great.

Buy cheap - buy twice - get two basses ;)

I was talking to a dealer recently, who stocks US and Tribute G&Ls and he reckoned the US models are no more than 10% better, than the Tributes. I'd just bought a US Musicman, so he wasn't trying to sell me a Tribute.
Sandbergs are great basses and they do a cheaper range too.
I don't agree with the buy cheap buy twice comment. I've bought from all price ranges and there are some amazing "cheap" basses around, these days.

Having played both, I have to disagree I'm afraid. The fit and finish on the Tribute I looked at was far less superior. It didn't balance desperately well either, and the feel of the neck was truly terrible. I wouldn't have paid anywhere near what I paid for my USA model for it.