Why become a member? ×

Acoustic bass guitars

Conan

Just after some advice here....

I have been offered an electro-acoustic bass guitar as part of a trade deal. I have never played one before, so I am a bit wary of proceeding!

Is there anything that I should be aware of, or that I should watch out for with an acoustic?

They seem to form a very niche market, so if I don't get on with it it could be rather difficult to sell on. That worries me a bit. On the other hand, it is a chance to try something different with no financial outlay....

The actual bass is a Furch 61 CM.

I am torn. Please help me decide!! :gas:

Personally I'm not a fan- they're rarely loud enough acoustically to be played without an amp, and yet unless you get a feedback reducer they're very prone to feedback at gig volumes so it's difficult to plug them in too. I'm not a huge fan of the sound plugged in either.... I would only ever use one if it was for cosmetic reasons. That said there are people here who I'm sure love them and will tell you the opposite, so if possible try it out and see what you think B)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1390826524' post='2349888']
I'd say a lot depends on how much the bass is as a Furch 61 isn't a cheap instrument.
[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/226959-fsft-furch-61-cm-acoustic-electric-bass-pricedrop/page__p__2348595__hl__furch__fromsearch__1#entry2348595"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/226959-fsft-furch-61-cm-acoustic-electric-bass-pricedrop/page__p__2348595__hl__furch__fromsearch__1#entry2348595[/url]

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1390827480' post='2349896']
I hate the sound of them with steel/bronze strings,[/quote]

Pardon my ignorance... but what do you mean by "the sound of them"? Do they have a characteristic sound? :unsure:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1390829051' post='2349927']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/226959-fsft-furch-61-cm-acoustic-electric-bass-pricedrop/page__p__2348595__hl__furch__fromsearch__1#entry2348595"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2348595[/url]
[/quote]
Nice bass.

Aren't these near to £1,000 new?

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1390831340' post='2349968']
Nice bass. Aren't these near to £1,000 new?
[/quote]

Thomann are currently doing the fretless version for £880 - without the upgrade that the one on here has.

It is certainly a beautiful bass, but as I say, a bit of a gamble for someone who has never even played (never mind owned!) an electro-acoustic! :o

Every time this question comes up everyone goes 'don't do it!' Too quiet to be used unplugged, and not ideal plugged in. I ignored the advice and got a Washburn AB10. Lovely thing, but yep, too quiet to use unplugged and I couldn't really find a use for it plugged in. Pretty uncomfortable to play for long periods due to the big, sharp-edged body. OK to plink about with at home but not for much else. I got rid of it, as I think most people do.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1390829134' post='2349929']

Pardon my ignorance... but what do you mean by "the sound of them"? Do they have a characteristic sound? :unsure:
[/quote]

All strings have their own characteristic sound. Typically, acoustic basses come with bronze phosphor strings like their guitar counterparts, and they're fine if you want a bright sound like a downtuned acoustic guitar. Most people buy an acoustic bass to closer emulate the tone of a double bass however, and for that you will want to use flatwounds or tapewounds.

I bought a very cheap acoustic bass on eBay which looks like a Chinese import that someone has slapped a brand name on to (shaft?)

It was largely unplayable so I ripped the frets out and fiddled about with it a bit to get it playable, yes it's quiet acoustically, but it sounds pretty good plugged in. I was running horrendously late for a band practice a while ago and grabbed it on my way out of the door, taking no other kit at all. I plugged into the pa and all of the band were surprised at how good it sounded. Actually one said it would be ok to gig with..

I actually play it more than any other bass purely because it's a pick up and play it job, no messing with amps or leads.

Always worth having in the armoury I think

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1390827480' post='2349896']
Often the preamp can have a built in phase switch to help cut out feedback. I hate the sound of them with steel/bronze strings, but with flats or nylons epecially on a fretless you can get a very double bass like sound out of them.
[/quote]

Are there nylon bass strings that work for longer than U-Bass scales?

Edit: Do you mean nylon tapewound strings?

I was wondering if there were silicone or similar bass strings that can be used on something larger than a bass ukulele.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Thanks for the input folks. Most of you are backing up what I was already thinking.

BTW, @Yorks5stringer: I have no concerns about the seller at all (except that he drives a hard bargain! ;) ). It is the bass itself that I am unsure about.

I love the idea of trying one, but don't want to end up with a "dead-end" instrument that I can't sell or trade on in the future.

I've done quite a few trades recently, and although I've enjoyed playing all of those traded basses I'm still to find one that is a "keeper". Until I do, I reckon I'm safer with basses that have a large potential market. Although I though that with my Spector Euro! :rolleyes:

I'm still in two minds though! My band have talked about doing a couple of "unplugged" or acoustic gigs. The guitarists have acoustics and obvioulsy the drums are acoustic. I though it would be cool if I was acoustic too...

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1390982719' post='2351840']
My band have talked about doing a couple of "unplugged" or acoustic gigs. The guitarists have acoustics and obvioulsy the drums are acoustic. I though it would be cool if I was acoustic too...
[/quote]

You could be 'electro' acoustic but don't ever imagine that you would be loud enough to keep up with a pair of unamplified acoustics... never mind a drummer (even using brushes/hot-rods)! I play in a 4 piece acoustic group (no drums) using a Washburn AB20 and it has a nice acoustic tone that sits in with the acoustic guitars (we all plug into a very small PA) but there'd not be a cat's chance in Hell of competing if I wasn't amplified; even house rehearsals I need to plug into a practice combo when they are purely acoustic!

I love my acoustic bass, so I'm going to recommend that you at least go and try one before making a decision. Mine sounds amazing plugged in, it's really satisfying to play and it's not just a hollow db tone, it's a proper woody growly bass tone. I suggest getting a photo of the neck to see how high the action is, because that can make them unplayable, but I'd say it's at least with considering.

Unsurprisingly this has turned into the usual BC 'i don't like it so neither should you' thread. If you want an acoustic bass then try a few out and go for it. If we all followed bass fashion then everyone today should have a Squier JV or a WAL or anything else that is the current favourite.

Live dangerously and follow your dream and not the current fashion. :)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1391039406' post='2352695']
Unsurprisingly this has turned into the usual BC 'i don't like it so neither should you' thread.
[/quote]

Which thread are you reading? I've read several positive comments and no commands or diktats. The overwhelming suggestion has been to try one.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1391041027' post='2352726']
Which thread are you reading? I've read several positive comments and no commands or diktats. The overwhelming suggestion has been to try one.
[/quote]
Keep reading and over the next few weeks it will turn out that way. They always do.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1391041562' post='2352730']
Keep reading and over the next few weeks it will turn out that way. They always do.
[/quote]

You're well within your rights to make a prophesy of doom and gloom, but please don't berate the people who have contributed in a measured and constructive manner in the thread up to this point - I don't think that's fair.