Why become a member? ×

Acoustic bass guitars

Conan

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1391042349' post='2352735']
You're well within your rights to make a prophesy of doom and gloom, but please don't berate the people who have contributed in a measured and constructive manner in the thread up to this point - I don't think that's fair.
[/quote]
Well that's well and truly told me off. I will sit in the corner facing the wall for one hour now.

BC must be a very serious place for some people. :rolleyes:

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1391043046' post='2352740']
Well that's well and truly told me off. I will sit in the corner facing the wall for one hour now.

BC must be a very serious place for some people. :rolleyes:
[/quote][size=4][quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1391041027' post='2352726'][/size]
Which thread are you reading? I've read several positive comments and no commands or diktats. The overwhelming suggestion has been to try one.
[/quote]
[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1391042349' post='2352735']
You're well within your rights to make a prophesy of doom and gloom, but please don't berate the people who have contributed in a measured and constructive manner in the thread up to this point - I don't think that's fair.
[/quote]

Agreed! :huh:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Added to which the OP started this thread asking for advice and some of which will be from haters/lovers of acoustic basses... in fact he will likely ONLY get advice from those two groups of people, so I'd expect on average for 50% of it to be negative! :lol:[/size]

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1391066055' post='2352782']
[size=4]Added to which the OP started this thread asking for advice and some of which will be from haters/lovers of acoustic basses... in fact he will likely ONLY get advice from those two groups of people, so I'd expect on average for 50% of it to be negative! :lol:[/size]
[/quote]

Actually, I've found most of the input to be very positive! Even the comments that are negative about the limitations of electro-acoustic basses! It's all positive if it helps me to make a decision - which it has!

These basses to seem to divide opinion, and only a fairly small proportion of the BC membership seem to have tried them - so I was expecting this thread to be far more limited than it has been. :)

Thanks folks once again B)

Edited by Conan

Aye, they definitely have a place. I love them.

They are fabulous things to noodle around on. Idle dreamy noodling is something that I do a lot of, and a beautiful acoustic bass on a wall-hanger in the lounge room is definitely a thing that draws me to play. To get the most out of an acoustic it helps to think outside of the box. Imagine the possible playing scenarios ... sitting in a bean-bag in the back garden in the summertime ... jamming in the kitchen (audibly enough), with a couple of friends playing nylon-strung guitar and hand percussion ... taking a walk in the woods with your acoustic, finding a perfect wee mossy glade and a comfy rock to sit on, and playing your heart out, earthy-style, to the backdrop of birdsong, yeahhhh! In the strictly dry and practical sense, they are also very good for home (solo) practice. Just pick it up and play, instantly, wherever. There is ZERO faff, and that is something else which has drawn me to play that wee bit more. For the most part, an acoustic bass is likely to require some changes to your playing technique. This is a good thing. Practicing on an acoustic makes you conscious, more technically articulate. When returning to a regular electric bass the benefits are really noticable. This is only my experience, of course ... Some folk just think of them as kindling for the fire.

I've had a couple of acoustics in my life, and I plan to have another before summer arrives. I like a fretless acoustic, strung with flats. That just seems like a very natural condition for such an instrument.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1391072335' post='2352832']
... taking a walk in the woods with your acoustic, finding a perfect wee mossy glade and a comfy rock to sit on, and playing your heart out, earthy-style, to the backdrop of birdsong, yeahhhh![/quote]

I must admit that I had never thought of that... :D

Going back to your original post, it sounds as though you're not sure if you want or even need an acoustic bass guitar.

Not knowing the full details of this potential deal, I couldn't comment on the financial aspect, but personally I wouldn't trade a bass I had for one I didn't know if I wanted it or not.

I have an acoustic bass that I dig quite a lot. I use it for practicing at home/outside and acoustic gigs/open mikes. Depending on what you want them for they can be a cool asset. We do acoustic gigs quite a bit so strung with phosphor strings and using a pick I can just about be heard (I had a resonator bass that was louder in these situations). If we're playing acoustic but plugged in I tend to change the strings to flats as the tone through the onboard preamp is lovely. It's also fun to hang out with mates jammin' away.

It's not a good advert as I'm not too great on bass yet but here's a video of us acoustic to get a gauge. Cheers.

http://youtu.be/djZsnQ7Awic

Edited by kristo

Although they can be a bit quiet when jamming along with an acoustic guitarist
A lot depends on who you're jamming along with, and how loud they play

I've got an Ibanez Electro-acoustic bass, it was just over £200 and it is fabulous!
It's plenty loud enough to jam along with music at home, and work songs out,
without the need for an amp

It's a dream to play, and when plugged into a decent bass amp
there aren't many basses that sound half as good, for twice the price
It's a little bright at times, but again - you get used to that & allow for it

I've gigged it a few times, and often get favourable comments
Last Sunday, another bassist, and a guitarist who also plays a bit of bass
both approached me after an open-mic night
They both asked how much the bass cost - thinking it must have been a small fortune!

Neither could believe the quality of sound I was getting from it, nor the price

I would give one a try, before judging.....
I've got several basses, and this would be one I'd be reluctant to ever let go of :)

Marc

I had a acoustic bass for a few years, admittedly not a top-notch one, but it certainly made me realise that they're [i]very[/i] limited in their application.

Great for noodling at home without an amp, but useless unamplified against anything execpt a lightly fingerpicked guitar.

If you like the piezo sound, or the look, then go for it, but in my experience they lack more than they have.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1391095491' post='2353215']
Going back to your original post, it sounds as though you're not sure if you want or even need an acoustic bass guitar.

Not knowing the full details of this potential deal, I couldn't comment on the financial aspect, but personally I wouldn't trade a bass I had for one I didn't know if I wanted it or not.
[/quote]

Nail on the head! B) I have a fairly expensive (for me) bass up for sale or trade. I enquired about a trade with the owner of the above-mentioned electro-acoustic bass, more out of interest than anything else.

My band are not a loud rock band, and we have talked about doing the odd acoustic gig. I thought this avenue might be one worth exploring.

After some more thought and some advice (not just from BC!) I have decided not to proceed with the trade. For my needs, I think an E-A bass might fall between two stools to a certain extent. I am too old and too short-tempered to go and sit in a music shop trying basses! :P

However, at some stage in the future I may decide to give a more modestly-priced acoustic bass a try... :)

Edited by Conan