Why become a member? ×

Anyone near Darlington care to play my gear for me?

Diablo

I'm learning - a lot. Been playing at home and learning songs and some theory but got an audition for an experienced pub covers band and was taken on as the bassist. I feel to some extent like I faked my way through as the other 4 guys have been playing together 20 years and I've been playing less than 2. Rehearsals and gigs are coming up. Now I've set up my MIM p-bass as per Fender catalogue specs and to my ear it sounds just great. But what does a dog sound like compared to a peach? I don't really know. I wanted to ask if there was any charitable soul, or a thirsty one in need of beer, who would be willing to spend an hour playing my setup (p-bass, ME-50B pedals, Laney Richter 300W amp) and either tell me its junk and I'm wasting my time, tweak setup to get the best out of it, or offer me £100000 for it being the best rig ever played (unlikely..).

I'm quite happy to travel and bring my gear but I'm just a bit stuck not knowing any other bassists in the area to ask, and I'm not sure it is the kind of thing to learn off the 'net so to speak.

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1390835766' post='2350060']
I'm learning - a lot. Been playing at home and learning songs and some theory but got an audition for an experienced pub covers band and was taken on as the bassist. I feel to some extent like I faked my way through as the other 4 guys have been playing together 20 years and I've been playing less than 2. Rehearsals and gigs are coming up. Now I've set up my MIM p-bass as per Fender catalogue specs and to my ear it sounds just great. But what does a dog sound like compared to a peach? I don't really know. I wanted to ask if there was any charitable soul, or a thirsty one in need of beer, who would be willing to spend an hour playing my setup (p-bass, ME-50B pedals, Laney Richter 300W amp) and either tell me its junk and I'm wasting my time, tweak setup to get the best out of it, or offer me £100000 for it being the best rig ever played (unlikely..).

I'm quite happy to travel and bring my gear but I'm just a bit stuck not knowing any other bassists in the area to ask, and I'm not sure it is the kind of thing to learn off the 'net so to speak.

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

If they took you over 4 other "more experienced" guys then it was because they preferred you.
If they're an experienced band they'd have noticed pretty quickly if you were faking it so stop worrying & give yourself a pat on the back for getting the gig - well done! :)

Did you do the audition with the same gear? If so the band already think it sounds great.

If you've got your Precision set up to Fender specs & it sounds great to you then it'll probably sound great to everyone else.
By all means get somebody to listen to your gear if it'll ease your mind though, there's probably somebody here who could help you out.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1390837141' post='2350084']
If you've got your Precision set up to Fender specs & it sounds great to you then it'll probably sound great to everyone else.
[/quote]

Good point. It's hard to make a P sound bad really.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1390838417' post='2350110']
....though there's clearly no harm, and probably a lot of good, can come from meeting up with other bassists.
[/quote]

I'm not sure I'd agree with this - I met up with another bassist once & less than two weeks later I broke my foot.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1390839407' post='2350128']
I'm not sure I'd agree with this - I met up with another bassist once and I broke my foot.
[/quote]

Shouldn't have kicked him so hard then, should ya? :P

Edited by Conan

I posted up then went to my man hovel to build an engine up, came back an hour later to a dozen replies!

Conan - Ncl is not so far, I'd gladly drive up sometime if you had time.

Darkheart - I'd bring my gear up to you so no probs, you are only 15 mins away, although it does mean running the gauntlet getting across the Wear.. ;)

andydye - I guess always good to put a face to a name. Next time you are leyburn-bound drop me a PM and we may be able to sort something out. Also gets you out of drinking tea and spotting garden birds with the outlaws.

I don't use facebook, just not my bag.

Cheers,
Rich

Although I'm nowhere near you, I grew up in Darlo, and a guy I used to go to school and 6th form college with now teaches in the town. Primarily he's a guitar teacher but he knows his bass too. If you get totally stuck I'll pass you his details as I'm sure he'd do a lesson on sound set up.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1390994140' post='2351983']
To the OP: If you don't mind me asking Rich, how old are you mate? :)
[/quote]
39.31 based on the current stardate.

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone is interested.

CHW - I'd be interested in the contact details for the teacher in Darlo so I could arrange a sound setup lesson.

Cheers,
Rich