Why become a member? ×

Mantic Beef Bag

tayste_2000

I'm interested in what you make of it as a direct comparison. I prefer the other mantic finishes personally rather than the close to the dod finish. Just my preference though.

Looking forward to more update! Have you played other mantics? I've been liaising withem a little recently. Was this the last prototype they had?

Not played other Mantic pedals but I've had a Dod Meatbox before, I'm trying to get to play this at somepoint, will likely have a good blast over the weekend.

These are a production model but limited to 10 as an exact clone of the Meatbox while the Hulk is a bit cleaner in it's sound apparently, I was always a fan of the dirtier meatbox distortion you get with the lower octave

Yeah that's whats put me off going for the hulk so far - the 'smoothness' rather than the dirtier octave. I like the meatbox a lot and its become a pretty bog standard in a lot of our songs for parts. Interesting they do runs of 10 - My email last week was replied to saying they only had one prototype to sell and itd be on ebay shortly.... :/

Ok so had a good few hours with this last night sadly, I was using a new put together rig for one bad, which consisted of a Selmer Treble & Bass 50 mk3 into a Matamp 8x10.

There just isn't the headroom or low end on this amp setup to really enjoy the pedal, I mean it does some nice things but not the room moving rumble.

moral of the story is don't make a 50w valve head from the 60's drive 8 speakers and then try and make it do some sub 35hz malarkey.

Then on to next band practice and a fuse blew in my amp, great start, hadn't even plugged in the Beef Bag yet, but that did mean I got to plug into the PA with our 800w 1x18 power sub :D

It just sounded great, the smoothest octaver I've ever had (I know that's not what it is but you can get that vibe). I found myself reworking bits of songs so I could play them an octave up so that I could throw this into the mix.

Tonally it's quieter (noise wise) than the Meatbox I had but it's got that gnarly vibe to it, I can't imagine with how much I love this that I'd like the Hulk to much, I expect it would be a bit too clean for my grindy sensibilities.

In terms of clips, it's really hard to record these pedals they are so low, they are just moving air and shaking walls, and it just doesn't come across when sat at home.

I've got some gigs coming up where I'll have a nice big PA to use so it's definitely going on the board and I can't wait to shake some rooms