Why become a member? ×

Boss BF-2

GazWills

Quick question on this pedal... Is there any difference between black knob and white knob bf-2's?? Japanese or not japanese, etc?

I know people pay more for old black label versions but do they sound different??

(Listening to faith by the cure this morning tells me that's the flanger i think i want!!)

Thanks

Edited by GazWills

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Boss Area has some good info: [url="http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/bf2.xml"]http://www.bossarea....e=boxes/bf2.xml[/url]

[color=#000000][color=#0000cd][i]"Version differences [/i][/color][/color][/font][/size][list]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#0000cd][i]The BF-2 exists in both metal screw and plastic screw versions.[/i][/color][/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#0000cd][i]The earlier versions had all black knobs. These where later changed to the white top knobs. The change took place 1990, very close to the same time that production was moved to Taiwan[/i][/color][/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#0000cd][i]There may be some BF-2's in pink. This was the original colour choice, but it was changed to purple in the last minute. Whether some pink ones exists out there is uncertain.[/i][/color][/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#0000cd][i]The BF-2's design remained virtually unchanged through its more than 20 year lifespan. The TL022CP opamp was replaced with the Sharp IR9022 opamp at some point but apart from that, the ciruit remained unchanged.[/i][/color][/font][/size]
[/list]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000][color=#0000cd][i]Label differences
No pedal has had as many different labels as the BF-2. From its birth in 1980 the label was black. It was changed to green in 1984. When production of the BF-2 moved to Taiwan 1990, the label kept its colour but was reprinted with the new country of origin. In 1994 the label was changed to orange. The CE-2B is the only other pedal to have use the orange label. Orange became pink in July 1997 and the final change happened in 1999 when the dark gray label was introduced"[/i][/color][/color]

[color=#000000]Looks like just the Opamp change, so not a grand difference, some people might claim to hear that difference perhaps.[/color]

[color=#000000]Si[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1391177134' post='2354179']
cheers both - I was hoping that was the case, looks like a white-knob BF-2 is in my future... 9v PSA as opposed to annoying ACA too hopefully...
[/quote]

I've never had a problem running the older ACA Boss pedals from standard power supplied. Some do work with a much duller LED, however this seems to be resolved by Daisy-chaining it from a Boss tuner. Powering ACA pedals direct from a PSA-240 adaptor has worse results.

Si