Why become a member? ×

NBD: Kay K-20B short scale

chriswareham

I've actually had this bass a couple of months, but it had a couple of issues that I only recently sorted out. It arrived with a bridge cover, but on closer inspection it wasn't the original but a Fender style one that was hiding an equally unoriginal Jazz style bridge. Since this had wider string spacing than the original Kay bridge, the E and G strings were precariously close to the edge of the fretboard. The other problem was that the pickup surrounds were cracked, as the pickguard was such a bad fit that it was exerting pressure on them. I managed to snag another K-20B, and proceeded to put together the best of the parts from the two. The result is a completely original one in "tobacco burst":

The scale is 30", and it now has a set of roundwounds rather than the rusty flatwounds it arrived with. The pickups are frankly amazing - I was hardly expecting a great sound from such a clearly budget bass, but it sounds extremely punchy with both pickups engaged. With just the bridge pickup it has more of the short scale sound I remember from my Gretsch Electromatic, and the neck pickup on its own is deep without sounding muffled.

The body is some kind of plywood laminate, while the neck looks to be a single piece of wood. Thankfully it hasn't warped unlike many of the necks on these early far Eastern instruments. The bridge is extremely primitive, with two screws to adjust the height and another two to adjust the intonation of all four strings. The intonation is fine though, so I'm not sure why someone felt the need to put the Jazz bridge on it. I'm now left with another K-20B in blue, but minus a suitable bridge and with two broken pickup surrounds. Not sure what to do about the pickup surrounds, but I'm going to try and find a more suitable bridge - Googling around suggests a Bronco one is a good fit.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1391375756' post='2356521']
I think it might qualify as the first Rickenfaker as this model seems to have been made between 1971 and 1973.
[/quote]
Rickenfakers were around well before 1971. These Shaftesburys were around in 1970 for example.

http://shaftesburyguitars.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/shaftesbury-p-4-1970-32613262-and-3263.jpeg

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1391369571' post='2356388']
I'm now left with another K-20B in blue, but minus a suitable bridge and with two broken pickup surrounds. Not sure what to do about the pickup surrounds
[/quote]
This is a common problem with the K-20B. There was one on ebay like that only recently. Many of them i've seen over the years have broken pickup surrounds as did mine when i bought it. I got the Bass Doc to make some for me and although they aren't recessed like the originals but what he made for me does the job superbly.

Edited by BetaFunk

Rickenfakers have been around for a while - the earliest ones probably date from when John Hall was in short pants. The Italian-made Shaftesburys (made by Eko) were mid 60s and amusingly were sold through Rose-Morris, official importer of Rickenbacker at the time. Around the same time, there were some Fujigen-built guitars (360-ish things) badged as Antoria & Ibanez, and some interesting early Aria semis, including a rather nice 4005-alike.

The earliest 4001 copy I've seen appeared in a 1970 (approx) Greco catalogue for the Japanese market - the bass is the Fujigen through-neck copy commonly seen badged Ibanez, with Gibson-style pickups. Instead of the usual full-width glitter inlays, it has alternating single & double dots and a triple dot at the twelfth position. I saw one of these go through US Ebay a long time ago, never seen another since.

Not a big fan of these funny little Kays, but this one looks very tidy. Some of these early Taiwanese instruments are better than you'd expect.

Jon.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1391381765' post='2356633']
This is a common problem with the K-20B. There was one on ebay like that only recently. Many of them i've seen over the years have broken pickup surrounds as did mine when i bought it. I got the Bass Doc to make some for me and although they aren't recessed like the originals but what he made for me does the job superbly.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip - I'll have to get in touch with the Bass Doc to see if he can make me replacement pickup surrounds and a scratch plate that actually fits. Hopefully with that and an appropriate bridge I can get the blue Kay into good playing state. Then I can give it to the singer from my band, as she seems quite keen to learn bass and a short scale would probably be a great starter for her.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1391383494' post='2356650']
Rickenfakers have been around for a while - the earliest ones probably date from when John Hall was in short pants. The Italian-made Shaftesburys (made by Eko) were mid 60s and amusingly were sold through Rose-Morris, official importer of Rickenbacker at the time.
[/quote]

I've actually got "Shaftesbury bass" as a saved search on eBay in the hope of snagging one of those! Didn't realise they were made by Eko, but it makes me even keener to track one down as my other short scale bass is a semi-acoustic made by them. I got it as my 21st birthday present, bought in installments from Macaris on Charing Cross Road. It was around the time that the occasional Eko instrument would appear for sale from the guy who bought their stock of parts when they went bankrupt.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1391383494' post='2356650']
Not a big fan of these funny little Kays, but this one looks very tidy. Some of these early Taiwanese instruments are better than you'd expect.
[/quote]

Judging by my two their quality control was completely erratic, and things such as bridges were pretty crude. They do have a certain charm though, and if the blue Kay proves beyond repair then I'll probably transfer the electrics into another bass.