Why become a member? ×

NBD: Sandberg Bullet Booster 5

TRBboy

Hey guys, got my new Sandberg on Wednesday! It's a Bullet Booster 5 in cherry sunburst with a maple neck. I upgraded to a swamp ash body, plain maple headstock, and a 3-band eq. Gigged it for the first time last night and it kicks ass! it's sooo light on the strap, but sounds monster! I guess it has a slightly darker, mellower sound than my Ken Taylor (as I'd expected with soapbars), but it's awesome. The Bullets have essentially the same neck as the Basic series, so I'm on familiar ground there, it almost plays itself. Had to change the strings after the first rehearsal, I really don't get on with the Sandberg ones for some reason.... Anyway, here it is:

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='grayn' timestamp='1391504313' post='2357765']
That's a beauty. Those soapbars may not have the single coil zing but they are so solid and high quality, in their tone.

Congrats.
[/quote]

Thanks man, I'm loving it! :D Those soapbars still have plenty of high-end snap, but just a slightly more low-mid focused character, it's a nice alternative to my Ken Taylor. It's so comfortable and easy to play, very pleased with it.

[quote name='grayn' timestamp='1391520610' post='2358025']
I know what you mean about Sanberg strings.
They seem kind of dead. What did you replace your's with?
[/quote]

Well, I've got some Dunlop stainless steel sets, which I bought to try because the price was so good, and I've been pretty impressed. I use light gauge.040" - .120", and for a light set they have an impressive bottom end, nice and full but tight, defined, and punchy, definitely bigger lows than some other light ss sets I've used. Usually I use D'addario Prosteels, but at about £15 a set I thought it was worth trying these and I'm glad I did. Not sure that they'll last quite as long as the D'addarios, but they seen to have a fairly quick break in time, and aren't anywhere near as rough feeling as some ss rounds.

Right, better pictures now up, I think it looks better in natural light. You can see how gorgeous the grain texture is and there's also some lovely patterning towards the top end of the fretboard. The neck pocket is as tight as you could want. Every time I play it I like it even more, it really is a superb bass. :D