Why become a member? ×

Badass II Bridge Question

maldy

I've just bought a badass II bridge. I've noticed that the supplied screws seem to be longer that the screws that are holding down the existing bridge on my jazz bass (and this is taking into account the extra thickness of the badass bridge). They also seem a little thicker. Should I use these or stick with the original screws? I'm wary if I use the new screws it will make the existing holes bigger and then my original bridge may not fit back on, if I change it over again.

I'd use the screws that came with the Badass. If you need to fit the original bridge you can always use some wood strips and pva glue in the enlarged holes so that the old screws get proper bite into the body. It won't be in view anyway.

By wood strips I of course mean matchsticks but wood strips sounds a bit better :)

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1391536780' post='2358313']
I've just bought a badass II bridge. I've noticed that the supplied screws seem to be longer that the screws that are holding down the existing bridge on my jazz bass (and this is taking into account the extra thickness of the badass bridge). They also seem a little thicker. Should I use these or stick with the original screws? I'm wary if I use the new screws it will make the existing holes bigger and then my original bridge may not fit back on, if I change it over again.
[/quote]
Congrats on the new Badass - I personally think that it's a great upgrade for Fender basses.

The Greeneking is absolutely right - using the badass screws wont pose any real problem at all in the long run.

On the other hand, if the heads on the original screws fit into the countersunk screw holes on the base of the Badass they will do a perfectly good job (I have done this myself at least twice). If you opt to use the original screws do not concern yourself with the lack of extra length - many people vastly overate the amount of tension placed on bridge screws (and necks for that matter).

Its a win/win either way.

use the original screws i fitted one recently no issues using original screws. i also used a match stick in each screw hole for better grip using the originals, my bridge is solid and as tight as can be.

Edited by geofio