Why become a member? ×

Sustain? Resonance?

MiltyG565

I've just found this video. It's very interesting, if very long and boring at parts (no points for a good edit here), but If you manage to survive the entire near-30 minutes of this video, the conclusion is interesting. I'll say no more, and you can make up your own mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTKfHkHZ6qQ

I just found that rambling and incoherent. I skipped through a lot of it due to that, but he doesn't appear to measure anything or present any objective data. He just messes about with it, strums it and declares "no resonance" or "just the same". Coming from a science background, I don't recognise any science going on here - it just looks sciencey due to the graphs on screen.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

File under " complete and utter bollocks".

One of the ( many) problems with the internet and modern technology is that anyone can present themselves and their imaginative creations in a way that was previously the prerogative of media professionals. Historically , the mass media were themselves usually answerable to their bosses and regulators , the wider media itself and the general public. You Tube has ended that accountability, and every borderline case on the planet with a camera can share their neurosis with the World. People who would previously have been desperate to strike up conversations with strangers in supermarkets are now taking to YT in their droves. The World is full of lonely people.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1391685619' post='2360080']
I just found that rambling and incoherent. I skipped through a lot of it due to that, but he doesn't appear to measure anything or present any objective data. He just messes about with it, strums it and declares "no resonance" or "just the same". Coming from a science background, I don't recognise any science going on here - it just looks sciencey due to the graphs on screen.
[/quote]

I have to admit, I felt much the same. Nothing much was actually measure, but I can see a little bit of method behind it. It would really need to be done again much more scientifically, ideally. I feel that you really would need to watch it all the way through to find coherence, and I know that it's hard to invest 30 minutes into it.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1391691383' post='2360194']
I think I'll stick with my "does it sound good to me? yes/no" approach.
[/quote]

Though if you were wondering whether it would sound better to glue your instrument to an empty plastic bucket or one filled with sand, the video might help. A valuable service, that is!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1391692343' post='2360216']
Though if you were wondering whether it would sound better to glue your instrument to an empty plastic bucket or one filled with sand, the video might help. A valuable service, that is!
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1391689868' post='2360170']
If you post any more videos like that I might buy one of these to boil my own head in.
[/quote]

I thought that's what you meant when you said "God preserve us" :rolleyes: The good news is that once you've made yourself into a jam, you'll feed the future of the human race, when everyone lives in nuclear blast bunkers during the nuclear holocaust. :mellow:

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391693074' post='2360233']

I thought that's what you meant when you said "God preserve us" :rolleyes: The good news is that once you've made yourself into a jam, you'll feed the future of the human race, when everyone lives in nuclear blast bunkers during the nuclear holocaust. :mellow:
[/quote]

Make sure you let FlyFisher know.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391693074' post='2360233']

...the future of the human race, when everyone lives in nuclear blast bunkers during the nuclear holocaust. :mellow:
[/quote]

Future human race? With the new changes to Housing Benefit currently coming into effect, you may well find many people from a variety of backgrounds living in bunkers like the ones you describe, nuclear threat or not. It will be just like the Blitz, but instead of Hitler's bombs the people in the shelters will be hiding from Ian Duncan Smith and the wrath of angry taxpayers sick of paying for parasites and scroungers. No doubt there will be plenty of YouTube vlogs about it.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391693074' post='2360233']I thought that's what you meant when you said "God preserve us" :rolleyes: The good news is that once you've made yourself into a jam, you'll feed the future of the human race.[/quote]

He doesn't do jamming sessions, remember? :P

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1391693839' post='2360253']
Future human race? With the new changes to Housing Benefit currently coming into effect, you may well find many people from a variety of backgrounds living in bunkers like the ones you describe, nuclear threat or not. It will be just like the Blitz, but instead of Hitler's bombs the people in the shelters will be hiding from Ian Duncan Smith and the wrath of angry taxpayers sick of paying for parasites and scroungers. No doubt there will be plenty of YouTube vlogs about it.
[/quote]

Lol - how could somebody who can't afford to live in a council house ever possibly be able to afford a nuclear blast bunker? :blink:

I get what you're saying though. I don't think I need to remind you that I am of these parasitic scroungers. I'm terrible, aren't I? :rolleyes:

*Looks around curiously*... Where are we? How did we get here? We are so far off topic right now! :angry:

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1391697500' post='2360317']
He doesn't do jamming sessions, remember? :P
[/quote]

I found this joke a little... [i]jarring[/i] :lol: