Why become a member? ×

Schroeder mini 10R

mcnach

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:gas:

sorry, I just needed to share that... what an awesome little cab!
Just by chance, I ended up trying several cabs, including the Schroeder, which happened to be for sale, and I fell in love with it.

I have used it tonight as an extension cab for my Markbass CMB121P combo, and it's incredible! I was barely pushing the amp, and it sounded really nice, big, defined... combo plus cab fit in the boot of my VW Golf with LOTS of space to spare. What a fantastic combination!

That's all. As you were :)

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1392117896' post='2364791']
The size and weight do seem really handy too. Have you tried it with the Shuttle yet? That could be a very cool mini-rig for rehearsals etc.
[/quote]

That's how I first tried it.

I was playing the Shuttle with various BF cabs, both lone cabs and in combination. The BF BB2 was a revelation: it had nearly as much bottom end as my Compact, but it was just clearer and better defined. The BB2 plus Supermidget was also very nice. The Supermidget alone sounded really good too, but was a mit too "harsh"... and right after that I tried the Schroeder by itself, which made me smile straight away.
It does not have as much bottom end as the Supermidget, but it can sound deep enough if you place it by a wall etc, much like it happens with my little Markbass combo, which can sound wimpy if you have it on a chair in the middle of a big room, but it can fill a smaller room (think City Cafe, in Edinburgh) if you place it carefully. It had more pleasing sound that the Supermidget, to me, with the Stingray.

I think the Shuttle and the Schroeder alone will work very nicely, but I'm not sure there is a big advantage over using the small Markbass alone, in terms of weight and bulk. One thing is that at home I was not using the Markbass, because I feel at low volumes it sounds a bit "dead", and the piezo tweeter is a bit annoying in its harshness. The Shuttle plus Shroeder sound great! Although it seems a bit funny to say I use a 900W amp for practice :lol: Fortunately it has a very effective volume control :P

What I really liked about using the Schroeder as an extension for the Markbass was that it sounded a lot "bigger" than the combo alone would, and I was pushing the amp less (well, maybe not, what I mean is that the volume knob was set much lower than I normally would, yet it sounded bigger). The tweeter in the Schroeder was turned down/halfway, I have to try turning it up more... I don't like tweeters, but this one was very smooth sounding, when I tested it on Sunday. It's rated at 350W, so you should be able to make enough noise through it.