Why become a member? ×

Replacing tuners on a Fender Modern Player Jazz

bassbiscuits

hiya,

Hoping someone can shed light on this...

I have a Fender Modern Player jazz, and am weighing up whether to upgrade the tuners on it.

They look exactly like those on both a standard MIM Fender bass and a Squier Vintage Modified bass.

Now i'm assuming the MIM and VMJ don't have the same machine heads, but does anyone know the difference?

I'd narrowed the choice of upgrades down to Hipshot Hb7s, which are a direct MIM replacement - then along came the nigh-on identical VMJ tuners and threw a spanner in the works....

I suppose the question is whether they're the same size, and whether anyone has replaced VMJ tuners with Hb7s....

Can anyone help?

Cheers both for the info! Yes they seem to work perfectly well - but the scooped waist you mentioned is there alright.

I wondered if cool replacements might help the tone too, but jury's out on that one.

I might just stick with it as it is then, turned up and slung low for maximum enjoyment :)

For me, the only reason to swap tuners out is to cure neck dive. IME even cheap tuners hold intonation fine for all practical purposes and I've never detected a change in tone. If you have neck dive, go for Hipshot ultralites ot Schaller BM Lites and live with the holes that are left (or plug them). Otherwise put the money towards those boots, or beer.....

[quote name='Pete1967' timestamp='1392163411' post='2365633']
For me, the only reason to swap tuners out is to cure neck dive. IME even cheap tuners hold intonation fine for all practical purposes and I've never detected a change in tone. If you have neck dive, go for Hipshot ultralites ot Schaller BM Lites and live with the holes that are left (or plug them). Otherwise put the money towards those boots, or beer.....
[/quote]

Wise words! B)

If you want a different tone from your bass, first off try a different brand or gauge of strings - cheap and easy! Next, look at swapping pickups (but this can be expensive and not always give the change you were looking for). A different bridge [i][b]may[/b][/i] help... (I'm not convinced by this one, but there are many who are!).

Tuners? I've never heard of anyone swapping tuners to get a different tone. I just can't see how it would make much difference at all! :(

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1392140528' post='2365253']
Although one thing that does bug me on many of Fender's tuners is that the capstan has a "sucked in waist". This makes it difficult to guide the string low enough to maximize [size=4]the break angle (typically on the A) thus causing the famous "A string rattle".[/size]
[/quote]

There is definitely merit in this reason for changing tuners, but obviously only if you get rattle in the first place. Different Fender and Fender-type headstocks can actually have very different geometry and A (and even E) string rattle can be a real issue with some unless you can get the strings wound real low on the tuner (which can be tricky with an "hourglass" stemmed tuner.

cheers folks for all the info.

Given the responses here I don't think i'll change anything.

I've managed to put quite a lot of string round both the A and E string tuners so no real rattle problems, and the big brass-saddled bridge seems fine.

I guess I'm just used to the real heavy duty hardware/tuners on my oldish MIA P bass, but I've also got a knackered old cheap fretless with a very rudimentary rubbish-looking bridge which has worked absolutely fine for the last 26 years, so maybe I'm worrying too much!

Cheers for all the responses tho. Now about those boots and beer....