Why become a member? ×

Importing an amp from overseas (US) - wise or not?

Lozz196

As above really, am looking at a TC Electronic RH450, and can get a new one shipped, with all duty paid, for about £470 from the US.

But is it wise to do so? I suppose I`m just a bit wary of any issues/failures and having a lot of malarkey to deal with. So, anyone done this and had either success stories, or nightmares all round and words of wisdom I need to hear?

How good is there back up policy; will you get warranty coverage here?
Main one is the voltage difference, is it switchable, if not can you have it hard-wired from the tranny for ours? - which will invalidate the warranty. Would you always remember the mains transformer if not. Or will they sell you a 230v model - in which case why isn't everyone doing it?

I love a bargain Loz but don't think personally I would risk it with an amp.

Having said that I have had hardware, bodies etc shipped over, without incident. But on the whole items that were more robust than an amp.

My last amp purchase was made the old fashioned way by taking a trip to Gig Gear, as I was fearful of having it posted within our own shores.

For the amount of money you would be saving, you would be crazy to ship this amp from the States.

You could very easily end up with loads of hidden costs and unwanted hassle that made it a very sour deal overall, and , as others have already pointed out, the likelihood is that the U.K importer won't help you if and when you need warranty support.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1392163216' post='2365630']
Blimey, I've only ever had a shaver that could do that!
[/quote]

Mrs Dingus uses plug adaptors and plugs in American voltage stuff in the U.K and U.K voltage appliances in the U.S.A , and just trusts to chance the results! Her philosophy is if it blows up, it blows up , and if not it's a bonus. She seems to have a very cavalier attitude towards the damage that can be done by shrapnel, but since her hair caught fire in a hotel in Indianapolis she has been a bit more cautious.

Bought my Mesa Walkabout head used on US eBay for around £200 less than equivalent in UK, even with the VAT & customs handling charge - though lugging a mains transformer around rather defeats the point of having such a portable head! Been hassle free though

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1392230395' post='2366269']
Thanks guys, confirmed what I was thinking, but always nice to hear it confirmed. Missed out on the last RH, rats!
[/quote]

ah, I just sold my RH450... If I knew you were after one!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1392213489' post='2365999']Mrs Dingus uses plug adaptors and plugs in American voltage stuff in the U.K and U.K voltage appliances in the U.S.A , and just trusts to chance the results! Her philosophy is if it blows up, it blows up , and if not it's a bonus.[/quote]
It'll be a good way to keep her hands warm too - for as long as she's still got hands :unsure:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1392251418' post='2366592']I'm a disposable razor man myself, saves on bathroom confusion and foamy amps. :)[/quote]
I knew I'd seen you somewhere before!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG9qYTJMsI[/media]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1392233952' post='2366336']
It was the very one - I kept on looking, and then it was gone..........
[/quote]

It didn't last. A couple of hours after I posted someone PM'd me, and then a few others. I didn't realise it was in such high demand! :lol:

It was a nice amp, and loved the extra features... tuner, presets... But I'm liking the GB Shuttle 9.2 better.

The GB Streamliner 900 is £499 new, and the 600 is £399 (about the same as a RH450 used)... so if you're looking for "old school" sound, that may be a cool option.