Why become a member? ×

Musical Style Examples ...

ML94

Hi

So I'm doing the composition task for my A level unit and I've gotten a bit stuck. The overall sound of the composition is a Jazz Fusion with 3 main sections - Latin, Funk, Ballad (Sort of...). I've gone down the route of guys/bands like Jamiroquai, Jazzanova, Weather Report, Cool jazz and so on.

What I'd like is for some more examples of these kinds of styles that I could incorporate into as I'm supposed to be naming all the 'inspiration' in a write up after finishing the composition.

What I'm having trouble with is finding some groove based Latin stuff. You know the kind of stuff with nice chord changes, tight rhythm sections and so on. (Oh and bass grooves!)

Any help is appreciated !

Ozomatli, Ray Barretto, Airto Moriera, Flora Purim, Return To Forever (first two albums), Fort Apache Big Band, Dave Valentin, Tito Puente, Sergio Mendes, Toninhio (?) Horta, Cal Tjader, Poncho Sanchez, Hermeto Pascoal, Herbie Mann, Mongo Santamaria, Gato Barbieri, Machito, Ruben Blades.....