Why become a member? ×

HELP!

I've been trying to sell my Fender Strat for a few weeks now to no avail, so I have decided to go down the Ebay route, so far so good. I have a few people watching and that's good too, but I've had a bid put in from someone with 0 feedback. I'm not sure if this is good or not. At the moment his bid is way below what I've set as a reserve so it's not a problem, but I have seen other folk with ads on Ebay stating that if the bidder has less than, say, 5 feedbacks to email them, presumably to check they are genuine and that has worried me. So long as I don't let the goods out of my hands before I get the money I can't get burned can I? Another question, one guy emailed me and offered to " Buy It Now" for just about what I was hoping to sell for even though I hadn't put that down as an option. Can I take that offer or am I committed to letting the sale run it's course?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Stratocaster_W0QQitemZ260259532889QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260259532889&_trkparms=72%3A638%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Stratocaster_...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

Edited by aceuggy

You can amend the advert at any time. I wouldn't put the "buyers with less than blah blah blah" in now though because obviously that guy has gone and bidded. But theres nothing stopping you from putting in a Buy It Now function and then having the other guy whos offered you buy it right then and there.

Edited by joe_bass

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='233963' date='Jul 7 2008, 09:56 AM']You can't amend it if you have a bid, but you can add to your description.
As far as I am aware, you can only amend your ad if you have no bids and more than 12 hours left.[/quote]

What's to stop me just cancelling the ad?

What does it matter - you won't send the guitar out without getting paid first, will you? If the user offering you a figure really wants it, they'll bid. Plus you've got over 6 days left. Chill - lots can and will change, especially near the end. If no-one triggers your reserve, you're not obliged to complete the sale.

The reason that people put on 'bidders with less than...' is that newbies can join and go bid happy, then suddenly have a change of heart and they don't complete the sale (especially as you can no long leave them negative feedback). You can get your fees back if the sale doesn't go through but it is still a pain in the backside and a waste of time and effort.

I have to say though that if someone has offered you what you want then sell it to them! Just make sure that you have the funds in your hands before letting it go.

With most stuff on ebay, the serious bidding is a last minute thing. As long as you're happy with the reserve amount (and it's a realistic reserve based on completed auctions) then let it run. If it sells you'll get at least what you want if not more.

Hamster