Why become a member? ×

Rack cases... but deep ones....

LukeFRC

So I've a power amp I want to stick in a case... only problem is that it's slightly larger than normal 45cm deep.
Which is a bit of a pain as everything seems to be shorter than that.
What do folk recommend for a rack case for it as it's that deep?
Or should I just build something from some bits of wood?

It's 2 unit high. I think I'm going to get a sepeate shallow bag or something for the preamp to allow me to take it to places where I don't need the amp and my cab.

I had this problem... I put the amp in a normal rack case, but used a number of washers as spacers between the amp and the rack on the four front rack bolts to move the amp forwards just a little, and was thus able to get the case closed.

Making a wooden case? It's going to be a massive pain in the arse and if you drop it, it's goodnight Vienna. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1392556933' post='2369957']
I've a Gator 2U ABS case that, I'm pretty certain, would take a 450mm amp OK.

It's bigger than I need, so I'd be up for a trade for a shallow one...
[/quote] cheers for that info - Gator would fit! If i had a shallow one i'ld trade ya! :) [quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1392597033' post='2370566']
Rack bags have an inch or two give at each end. Maybe try one of those? Can be had cheap on eBay!

Truckstop
[/quote] would you be able to give a link to the sorta thing you mean please? both for me and any other numpties reading the thread - also why is your interest "no blazers" - you've not gone and got rid of your Basschat trademark Truckstop basses have you????!

Sadly, yes :(

I got a gig that required more tonal flexibility and bought a BB424x and sold one of the Blazers to part fund it; a 1024x shortly followed as did the loss of another Blazer. At the moment I have only a loaded body at home. Currently searching for a neck!

Anyway, here's a link to what I'm talking about:

http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/Stagg_RB-2U_2_Unit_Rack_Bag.html?gclid=CN6hhqyu1LwCFSTkwgodIGkALA

The actual ends of the rack bag are not flush with the 'box' part of it. There's like an extra 2 or 3 inches of space beyond the zipper so that larger things can fit.

I used to use a rack bag for a particularly large C-Mark power amp; wouldn't fit in a case, but a bag had a little bit of extra give so it'd fit.

Truckstop