Why become a member? ×

ibanez ergodyne edc 705

NigeH

Please could someone explain why there seems to be such conflicting opinions about the weight of Ibanez edc 705s? I can understand different ideas about tone or playability but surely a guitar is heavy or it isn't. I've heard people say its the lightest guitar they've ever owned and others that it was far too heavy! wtf? I know it depends what you compare it to but to be called very light because of its lucite body and then monstrously heavy for the same reason defies logic. I built myself a thru neck 5 string from Canadian rock maple faced with African mahogany, i think that weighs just short of 2 metric tons for obvious reasons but is lucite lightweight or not?

I've a Luthite bodied Tanglewood (actually a Cort) Curbow 5 and for the quite small body it's heavy enough to feel substantial, neither too light nor too heavy for me; so maybe 'average'. I don't have any scales so can't weigh it but it certainly isn't the heaviest bass I own (that probably is my Westone Spectrum LX - maple body, Canadian hard maple neck with rosewood fingerboard).