Why become a member? ×

At last I think I've found the one for me!

Pinball

I'm relatively knew to playing bass and a bit of a perfectionist (OCD maybe?). Because of this I'm never going to be happy with my playing but I have been trying to get "my" perfect sound. Since starting to play bass (January 2012) I have been trading up and flipping gear trying to get where I want to be.

After changing basses several times,I changed from Ashdown to GB amplification last year, which then "threw out" everything else in my sound chain. As a result I have been changing things ever since.

The last few changes have been in the right direction and have had positive feedback from the rest of the band. I made big strides by using a tiny looking but big sounding Farida Hypersonic bass (now my reserve bass) and also when I added a touch of subtle compression from an EBS Multi-comp. This Sunday I took along my Ibanez SR3005E for the first time. I only got it last week and it felt right and sounded right to me as soon as I picked it up and played it. I have felt like that before though with my Sandberg basses, only to find that they didn't work as well live with my current band.

This time was different. At band practice the Ibby sounded immense and as a result I hardly used my effects pedals as it just didn't need them.
After practice the band we're all over the bass, saying how great it sounded and also how good it looked. I was been told by both the guitarist and drummer, who are both far more experienced than me that "this is the one", I know they are right because I could also hear it too. At last I can relax and just concentrate on playing rather than twiddling with settings.

It's been a long haul so I thought I'd share my happiness! :)

Edited by Pinball

That's the thing. What sounds good at bedroom levels or in a shop, may not sound good at band levels. Glad you're happy with your Ibby. I have to say, I'm guilty of having not given much attention Ibanez basses over the years but when I get the chance to play them I'm always pleasantly surprised.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1392636852' post='2370826']
That's the thing. What sounds good at bedroom levels or in a shop, may not sound good at band levels. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] I have to say, I'm guilty of having not given much attention Ibanez basses over the years but when I get the chance to play them I'm always pleasantly surprised[/font][/color]
[/quote]

That fact doesn't make choosing a bass easy does it? I'm still mesmerized by beautiful jazzy tones that don't work with this band. I probably would have got there a lot quicker if I had tried a straight "P" style bass sooner, You live and learn.

Ibby's? I kept finding reasons for myself not to buy one for a while but succumbed in the end as a good bass a good bass. Ibby's are like Yamaha in that the low end ones are very competitive and the high end ones have lots going for them and cover all my needs.

Edited by Pinball