Why become a member? ×

Building a P bass - best pick ups for JJ Burnel sound

bonnp

Hi, i have bought a p bass body (mexican) including gotoh bridge. What pick ups would be best to "try" and create the early stranglers sound? passive active , make etc
also what else do i need, wring harness plus any recommendations for a neck? original fender or similar? i like the rotosound 66 110s i have on my musicman so will probably buy the same.
thanks

Neck-wise I`d go for a Mighty Mite maple Precision - they`re reputed to be of very good quality, and maple - to me - has that "zing" in the upper mids, a sort of creaminess to it, that rosewood doesn`t have. I doubt I`d notice it in the mix, but all of my maple necked Precisions have had that, whereas none of the rosewood ones have.

Pickup wise, well having just bought a Dimarzio DP122 for my Squier Precision, this more than handles that early punk vibe. Plenty of lows and mids, not too much treble on it so you`d have to boost the highs on the amp - which is what JJ did I believe - and the mid-focus of the pickup will enable it to breakup into that great driven distorted sound he had.

JJs Precisions were passive, and as much of the sound came from his attack as anything, hit the strings to get the drive.

And pretty much spot on with strings, JJ was/is a Roto Steel 66 user - not sure which gauge though.

thx lozz for taking the time to reply, thats some really interesting stuff i will look at. having to build a p bass so the Mrs does not give me grief for buying another guitar, but from what i hear the p bass and musicman have totally different sounds.

Yes they`re very different. Both great, but different. It is possible to get a good JJ sound from a `Ray though. I just used to turn the treble right down, and the mids right up on the bass, then adjust the eq on the amp to suit. Not exactly there, but not too far away.

Based on my Kramer - [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Dimarzio DP122 or based on my G&L SB1, if you can source one, G&L MFD P bass type. Both of these seem to have high output, no shortage of bass n treble and plenty of punch. [/font][/color]

I'd agree with Lozz, the DP122 is hot and barky enough to do the job. I've built several basses with the maple Mighty Mite necks (Precision and Jazz) and they're a great neck for the money.

One of the big factors in JJB's early sound is lots and lots of compression, if you're serious about getting really close, then a pedal compressor is what you need, too.

Passive EQ using CTS pots, or contact KiOgon on here, he'll do you a great, easy-to-fit prewired loom for very little money.

Edited by Muzz

thanks guys, just looked at the [b]DiMarzio DP122 and looks the business and i will contact KIOgon ,[/b][b]do u have to import the mighty mite necks? or can u buy in UK, last daft question is will i be able to play through my roland cube 30 bass amp (practice amp) and use the effects or would u advise a diffrerent amp set up?[/b]

Hi,

I got my Mighty Mite necks from EBay, there's a couple of sellers who pop up now and again. If it's the P-width neck you're after, it's the MM2909.

The amp setup depends on a lot of things, like how loud do you want to be, what's your budget, etc - in an ideal world to get that sound I'd choose an all-valve head like an SVT or Orange, and a big old sealed cab like an 810, and a good compressor, but that'd be a couple of grand to set up, and I'd never be able to move it!

The Cube 30's got a compressor on board, you could have a play with that, bear in mind that iconic sound will have been the result of lots of work in the studio, with driven valve amps, studio compression and lots of other factors. Trying to get there's half the fun though!

The Seymour Duncan SPB-4 Steve Harris sig pup might do the business fairly well methinks.

I fitted one yesterday and played it straight to the jack as I don't have a scratch plate at the moment (it's away as a pattern for a tort replacement). It sounded quite 'low middy' which is exactly what I expected. It sounded rather nice too :)

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1392804927' post='2372857']
The Seymour Duncan SPB-4 Steve Harris sig pup might do the business fairly well methinks.

I fitted one yesterday and played it straight to the jack as I don't have a scratch plate at the moment (it's away as a pattern for a tort replacement). It sounded quite 'low middy' which is exactly what I expected. It sounded rather nice too :)

Peter
[/quote]

Didn't have you down as a Harris fan Peter :D

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1392834619' post='2373307']
Didn't have you down as a Harris fan Peter :D
[/quote]

Our drummer is the Iron Maiden nut and I've been listening to a bit. I really wanted a P bass with low mids innate. This seems to give it. I jury rigged the harness today and was mightily impressed.

Peter

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1392826727' post='2373190']
In all likelyhood yes, a standard 70s Precision.
Plus a great deal of the sound was from using a guitar amp and guitar 412 cab (with blown cones I believe).
[/quote]

That's it. 70s P pups are naturally scooped, or at least the one on my 70s P certainly was.
You'll have to blow your own cones, though. Not a euphemism. :mellow: