Why become a member? ×

Epic bass and trumpet Ableton Live jazz-tronica jam video

urb

Hey Peeps

I know I've not been around these parts much but life has been very busy lately and I've been actually working on my playing and some new music (with Skol) as well as this new little jazz electronica project - it took me a while to get my Softstep pedal working but I'm basically using that to switch between effects in Ableton on my bass - I've pretty much given up the idea of playing live Soft synths via my i2M audio-to-midi converter but it may happen - and I'm just using a Launchpad Mini to launch clips and record live loops etc - anyway this is just one of about 6 tunes Andy played through - much of it written on the fly but all running through Live 9 - which we recorded through as well - the quality is surprisingly good and the best bit is you can bounce down 24 Bit WAVs of the jam as individual stems and then take them into Logic or whatever and mix them in there... so cool.

Anyway this was the only thing we filmed but it came out OK - it's a bit long but that's kind of the vib - just go with it man... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eSLMLFRXZw

Let me know what you think

Mike

This is great Mike! Very nice indeed mate.

I wasn’t sure where it was heading from the outset - in a good way - and then when the drums kick in it just takes off. Brilliant. Nice melody; bass sound lush; Andy’s trumpeting is just sublime as usual (cool echo/delay on that too).

Production sounds good for a jam session. It sounds like your soundcard is struggling in a few places - especially when things get busy, like when you’re thumbing - so maybe try recording with a slightly lower level next time and leave some headroom to play with, which will avoid the odd bits of distortion. But that’s a minor quibble.

Anyway, great to see you’re getting to grips with Ableton! This sounds to me like it’s only a few small steps away from being something you and Andy could take out and gig with. And more’s the point… there are some ideas in here that I think we could incorporate into some of our new material :D (yeah, I’m ever the sample thief…).

Nice room too. I dig the orange vibe.

Thanks Paul - there IS distortion on my bass on some bits - i.e. an effect - so that's intentional but the bass does peak a couple of times - something I could have remedied in the mix - never mind I'm glad you like it over all - and yes I've got some other loops that we laid down live which can be re-appropriated soon! :)