Why become a member? ×

NCD - New Cab Day - Schroeder Content

discreet

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1392999025' post='2375135']
...that nonslip rubber matting...
[/quote]

Possibly this stuff?
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Car-Anti-Non-Slip-Glass-Dash-Mat-Pad-Sticky-Hot-F8s-/371010392502?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5661f151b6"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5661f151b6[/url]

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1393003957' post='2375210']
Really nice cab, great tone and LOUD!
[/quote]

I'm loving all these positive comments!
Even the current mrs discreet has expressed a preference for the Schroeder, so it [i]must [/i]be good. ;)
And that's with her resenting me for having the house full of gear, too...

Edited by discreet

OK, quick update... used the cab at rehearsal last night and it's really great. Massive full sound - it will handle some serious power and some serious low end without farting, rattling or breaking up in any way. Much like the BF Super 12 I borrowed from Happy Jack a while ago. But I was expecting this.

What I wasn't expecting was to change the way I play as a direct result of the sound coming from the cab... I found that if I play fingerstyle, I get a much more hefty, full-range and punchy tone compared with a pick. This is a very big deal, because I've been almost exclusively a pick player for decades, and never before has a bit of gear had this effect on me! An added benefit is I'm playing fewer notes as I'm not so practised with the old fingers, so note choice has become more important.

I'm wondering if this is because the 1212L has a tweeter? I've never thought one necessary for my old-school tone, but it definitely makes a difference. Not something I've really thought about before.

So now I'm nursing blisters on my fingers like a rookie! And not for the usual reasons, fnarr-fnarr (cont. p94)

It's all good! But I think when finances permit it's going to have to be a BF '69er or Big Twin. Probably with an STM900, if I can get one... ...has Behringer cloned the Streamliner yet?? ;)

So on and on it goes with the bass tone obsession. But I'm definitely getting closer. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1393499790' post='2380995']
fnarr-fnarr (cont. p94)
[/quote]

I'm looking forward to page 94! Shame we're only on page 2.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1393499790' post='2380995']
has Behringer cloned the Streamliner yet?? ;)
[/quote]

No, they haven't. They use reddish LEDs instead of blue ones:

[URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/BugeraVeyronBV1001Tfront_zps27aa6c23.png.html][IMG]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r525/basstractor1/BugeraVeyronBV1001Tfront_zps27aa6c23.png[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1393510067' post='2381191']
No, they haven't. They use reddish LEDs instead of blue ones:

[url="http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/BugeraVeyronBV1001Tfront_zps27aa6c23.png.html"][/url]
[/quote]

I need to know what this sounds like and how much it is. At the very least it should make a good back-up amp for when my second hernia finally erupts. Intestine-tastic!! :o

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1393512063' post='2381246']
Yeah, but can it be so much cheaper than a Streamliner 600 or even than a 900?
I think the Veyron T model may go for 500 quid.
[/quote]

If it does, I won't be buying it. Bass Direct are doing the STM900 for 500 quid including delivery.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1393519852' post='2381411']
I asked Mark (that other one) to send me the best sounding one of the 600 and 900, and he chose the 900.
[/quote]

So... I'm asking everyone... how does the STM900 compare with an all-valve amp? Does it cut the mustard?

I use a Streamliner 900 with my Schroeder, and it's a great match: the low-mid hump of the cab focuses the kinda bloomy bottom end of the amp. Well, to my ears it does...

I also love the warmth of the Streamliner, and it drives those valves really nicely when you crank the gain a bit. It's my favourite practical amp*, and it killed a run of GAS that included Mark Bass (LM III and Tube), Ashdown (Spyder and ABM) Ampeg (SVT-7), Mesa Boogie (x2 - Walkabout and M-Pulse) and TC (RH450). Not sure I need the 900, tho, I'd like to try a 600, because I suspect that'd do me in these post-tinnitus days...

* Yeah, in an ideal world including my own road crew I'd have an SVT again, but that's never gonna happen...

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1393537270' post='2381751']
I use a Streamliner 900 with my Schroeder, and it's a great match: the low-mid hump of the cab focuses the kinda bloomy bottom end of the amp. Well, to my ears it does... I also love the warmth of the Streamliner, and it drives those valves really nicely when you crank the gain a bit. It's my favourite practical amp and it killed a run of GAS that included Mark Bass (LM III and Tube), Ashdown (Spyder and ABM) Ampeg (SVT-7), Mesa Boogie (x2 - Walkabout and M-Pulse) and TC (RH450). Not sure I need the 900, tho, I'd like to try a 600, because I suspect that'd do me in these post-tinnitus days...
[/quote]

I thought the STM and 1212L would be a good match too, for the same reason. Some very respectable amps in that list! If you want to move on the 900 and buy a 600, let me know! But just how close can it get to an all-valve SVT?

Also I see it has Gain, Volume AND Master... does the Gain purely dial in valve drive, or what? Thanks... :)

Edited by discreet

No, the Gain's interesting - it does drive the valves more and more progressively as you'd expect (as does the Gain switch), but it also changes the response of the following tone stack, which is, I believe, similar to the traditional Fender tone stack. It's different to a lot of smaller heads in that sense, and I think it catches a lot of people out. It's an EQ you've got to play with a bit to get the best out of. There's a pretty good Youtube vid from Ed Friedland (The Bass Whisperer) on the Streamliner, which goes into some detail.

Yeah, some great amps on the list; some were before the Streamliner (the MB and TC), but the rest all came and went after being A-B'd in rehearsals and at gigs with the Streamliner. The M-Pulse was my next favourite, but that's a full size 2U amp...

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1393529376' post='2381573']
how does the STM900 compare with an all-valve amp? Does it cut the mustard?
[/quote]

Sorry, I can't answer that. Too little experience.
But Muzz seems to talk sense, and better puts to words what I felt: that a ShuttleMax or GBE are very easy to dial with, whereas the Streamliners need you to first get to grips with how they work - meaning that in a shop demo situation, one could easily overlook the power of the front panel. Some experimenting at home should soon make it all clear though.
That and the unspeakable thing...
[size=2](the manual)[/size] :)

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1393551164' post='2381898']
...the Streamliners need you to first get to grips with how they work - meaning that in a shop demo situation, one could easily overlook the power of the front panel. Some experimenting at home should soon make it all clear though...
[/quote]

Well I'd really need to try it out at rehearsal, or even better a gig... anyone going to lend me their Streamliner, then?*

*Not you, BT - you're too far away. :)

If I had a backup head, I'd lend you mine, but unfortunately I'm gigging too often for the thing to even cool down properly these days...which is a good thing, obviously...despite what Her Indoors thinks... :D

On the direct comparision with an SVT thing, I haven't used a 'proper' SVT in fifteen years, so I can't give you a A-B on that, unfortunately, but if anyone wants to lend me an SVT, I'll more than happy to A-B it for you... :D

Edited by Muzz

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've gone sideways and bought Merton's GK MB500 Fusion... will it do the valve thing? I'll let you know.
If not, it will surely be back up for sale forthwith, so if you would like to make your intentions clear early on, be my guest! ;)

It will be interesting to hear what you think of the GK. I love mine but I've not really used valve amps for bass so don't know what I'm missing. Interestingly I have the same experience as you regarding fingers/picks. I've always used fingers but occasionally I use a pick for a song for the sound, and I always end up throwing it away halfway through the first verse as it just doesn't have the power or control.

I really like that badge you had made for your cab - I've just built a guitar combo and would love something like that. What size is it? Is it a standard finish (looking at the ordering options on the webpage)?

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1394352064' post='2390467']
I really like that badge you had made for your cab - I've just built a guitar combo and would love something like that. What size is it? Is it a standard finish (looking at the ordering options on the webpage)?
[/quote]

It's 100mm X 45mm, a little bigger than the original (95mm X 42mm). And it's standard finish. :)

Edited by discreet