Why become a member? ×

Ampeg 610HLF Tweeter Hiss

Billy Apple

I've just scored an Ampeg 610HLF to go with my SVT Pro II, and it seems to have a hiss coming from the tweeter. I've not used these cabs before so don't know what to expect.

When the dial on the back is at zero there is no noise, but it gets progressively louder as you turn the knob. It's not massively bad, but it's enough for me to think something aint quite right. Plus to be honest, the tweeter does not seem to make much difference, but it's hard to tell with me plucking one string and turning the knob at the same time. I tried it with my GK MB200 and it was worse.

Everything else seems to be fine.

Any ideas anyone?

The tweeter will only produce sound coming from the amp. If you turn the tweeter down, the hiss is still coming from the amp; you're just not hearing it any more. Listen (tweeter on...) with all at 12 o'clock, then turn down the amp treble control. Does the hiss subside..? If so, it's from the pre-amp. If not, it's a noisy power amp.
Hope this helps...

Edited by Dad3353